Masks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm sure some of you have seen the DYIs for them but I can't sew and I most certainly do not have fabric on hand to sew. So that leaves me with one other resource- yarn. I've been practicing crocheting for the sole purpose of making a mask with pockets for 4 people at least while I am waiting for a smaller gauge loom to arrive. I figure that this would be a good use of my time would keep me engaged and awake through the day. Have any of you made any knitted and/or crochetted face masks? If you have, do you have any pointers, especially where a child aged 11 is concerned?

I just checked Ravelry (fiber arts website), there are 32 crochet patterns with the tag “face mask” but only one looks like an actual face mask - most of the others are ear savers. The pattern is free but is meant to be a costume piece. I don’t have actual crochet advice (I’m better with knitting) but there is a base pattern out there if you’re on Ravelry.

in terms of the masks I’ve been using/making, I’ve found the masks with ties are easier than the ones with ear loops. The ear loops mess with my glasses, are either too tick to fit behind me ears or too thin to be comfortable, constantly snap off my face... as someone who isn’t used to masks, it's more pain than it’s worth (but I gotta wear them at work).

the pattern I’ve mostly settled on for sewing masks has 16 inch ties off each corner (I think @dibbles posted the pattern). It’s more than enough for adults with varying sized heads to use and tie on comfortably. I believe the mask size ends up a total of 4”x8“ (when “scrunched”) and fits perfectly on me. I might make a few a bit larger for my husband’s bigger head+beard.

I was considering knitting a few masks with spaces for filters. My plan was fingering yarn with a US4 needle (3.5mm). I know that doesn’t translate well into crochet but I think needle/hook sizes are similar. I have to clear up a few works in progress first, then I’ll consider masks.

most threads I’ve seen talk about the masks themselves not the filters. My dad recommended a furnace filter that’s rated to catch bacteria, allergens, and viruses - it’s almost the same as the material n95 masks are made out of and you get A LOT for under $20. I just tore off the cardboard and stretched it out, I think you can easily cut 20+ filters from it (I’ve cut 2 so far). My work is having us reuse filters daily but wash the outer cloth mask. A single family should be able to use one furnace filter for a good while before having to worry. Before I got my furnace filter I picked up a box of i scented swiffer cloths, my theory was that it would catch the allergens and pollen so we could cut down the seasonal issues and not mistake them for COVID.

I just checked Ravelry (fiber arts website), there are 32 crochet patterns with the tag “face mask” but only one looks like an actual face mask - most of the others are ear savers. The pattern is free but is meant to be a costume piece. I don’t have actual crochet advice (I’m better with knitting) but there is a base pattern out there if you’re on Ravelry.

in terms of the masks I’ve been using/making, I’ve found the masks with ties are easier than the ones with ear loops. The ear loops mess with my glasses, are either too tick to fit behind me ears or too thin to be comfortable, constantly snap off my face... as someone who isn’t used to masks, it's more pain than it’s worth (but I gotta wear them at work).

the pattern I’ve mostly settled on for sewing masks has 16 inch ties off each corner (I think @dibbles posted the pattern). It’s more than enough for adults with varying sized heads to use and tie on comfortably. I believe the mask size ends up a total of 4”x8“ (when “scrunched”) and fits perfectly on me. I might make a few a bit larger for my husband’s bigger head+beard.

I was considering knitting a few masks with spaces for filters. My plan was fingering yarn with a US4 needle (3.5mm). I know that doesn’t translate well into crochet but I think needle/hook sizes are similar. I have to clear up a few works in progress first, then I’ll consider masks.

most threads I’ve seen talk about the masks themselves not the filters. My dad recommended a furnace filter that’s rated to catch bacteria, allergens, and viruses - it’s almost the same as the material n95 masks are made out of and you get A LOT for under $20. I just tore off the cardboard and stretched it out, I think you can easily cut 20+ filters from it (I’ve cut 2 so far). My work is having us reuse filters daily but wash the outer cloth mask. A single family should be able to use one furnace filter for a good while before having to worry. Before I got my furnace filter I picked up a box of i scented swiffer cloths, my theory was that it would catch the allergens and pollen so we could cut down the seasonal issues and not mistake them for COVID.
Pretty sure it wasn't me - I hate sewing. I have a couple of surgical masks, and only going out every 12-14 days right now, I have just been leaving it in my car and figuring that if any virus was on it, it would be long gone before I go out again. I have a friend that does sew and lives near by. I've been thinking about working out a trade for soap. Anything to avoid sewing myself LOL.

I also recently read an article about a vacuum bag manufacturer making filters out of the bag material. Also traps bacteria, allergens, etc.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for forgeting to stop by. I made two masks so far via crochet. I need a smaller gauge loom in order to knit one but I think a knitted mask would be a tad better than a croched one of your tension is tight. They're ultimately not the best period bit if this makes some people in my life feel better, I'll suffer and make some.

Back