Mashed, no crock, with a plop....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everybody. Test batch with Rice bran oil. All you folk's rave about. Found some at an Asian/American food market. (2.5 hours from home)
20210820_141517.jpg
Used this recipezy...
Palm 25%
CO 20%
Rice Bran 40%
Shea Butter 10%
Castor 5%
1.5/1 lye concentration
3% super fat
No color (wouldn't have had time)
Fragrance teakwood/cardimon
(Barely had time)
Ok, the title...
20210817_170858.jpg
This bolted like a race 🐎. Out of the gate. Just barely had time to add fragrance. Plopped into mold. Then dropped " HARD " many times.
Also brought itself. UpTo gell. With no over heating or help on my part.
Ok, overall I would use Rice Bran. If available locally. Did make a nice bar.
Not a bit of Ash! Will test in a few weeks.
Questions, why did it bolt?
To many hard oils??
Lye concentration??
I've not alot of experience with Palm. So, still learning what to expect from it. Thanks in advance.

Thank you. Zany. I have been using 1.5/1 for last hand full of batches. But blaming the acceleration on the new FO's, extra Cocoa butter in my recipes. But this recipe just took off! So, I have now retreated to my warm and cozy 1.7/1 concentration. Thank you again.

You're welcome. BUT. I use 1.7/1 water to lye ratio for recipes high in unsaturated fats. Your formula is nicely balanced between SAT/UNSAT so, to prevent "bolting", I would go 2/1 water to lye ratio or 33% lye concentration or even 38% water as % of oils, which is what I use most of the time -- but that's just me.

Ford's RBO recipe.png

Latest posts

Back