Mashed banana soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I finally finished my Mashed Banana soap with almond milk and with some banana fragrance. Instead of trying to stop the browning from the fragrance with vanilla stabilizer this time I decided to work with the brown using a gold mica and made a white and gold layer we will see what happens when I unmold tomorrow till then ttfn lol.

20221209_033832.jpg

So I am thrilled that my Mashed banana soap turned out all most 🥰 perfect except some soda ash on top and the fact that it ended up becoming big fat soap pieces(because of banana slices). Huge pieces lol. But I bought a hand steamer for the soda ash. So I didn't follow any recipes for this one I made my own recipe. I used 25% organic coconut oil, 25% organic palm oil that is processed in a way that is safe for the environment, 45% extra virgin OO, and 5% caster oil. Then I used almond milk that was frozen in to ice cubes for my lye with just abit of distilled water at the bottom of my milk ice to get the lye going. I then controlled my lye temperature by putting it out side in the snow it worked wonders. One of the joys of living in Northern BC in Canada lol. I made one cup of white soap with TD and kaolin clay for my first layer and then mixed 2 oz of mashed banana with kaolin clay again in to my oils that I then mixed in my lye at 84 Degrees F(1 oz of mashed banana per pound of soap). Then I added my gold mica and 🍌 banana FO. I then poured my second layer and put my banana embeds on top and it went straight into the freezer. Even though I used sodium lactate it's still a little soft after unmolding a day and a half later. Well that's it my kids wil finally get their banana soap they wanted. It also smells wonderful. I am also really happy that I skipped gel faze with a water discount, soaping at 84 F and getting it in the freezer as soon as possible. This was a very fun project.

Attachments

• 20221210_105354.jpg
    20221210_105354.jpg
    924.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221210_111854.jpg
    20221210_111854.jpg
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221210_112042.jpg
    20221210_112042.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221210_111801.jpg
    20221210_111801.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221210_110813.jpg
    20221210_110813.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221210_095754.jpg
    20221210_095754.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I am totally crushing on your banana soap over here. 🥰🥰🥰

How long will the soap be good for with actual mashed banana in it?

Love that you used the snow to keep your lye temp in the snow - awesome! 🌸

I am totally crushing on your banana soap over here. 🥰🥰🥰

How long will the soap be good for with actual mashed banana in it?

Love that you used the snow to keep your lye temp in the snow - awesome! 🌸
Thanks so much! I read online that your soaps last 6 months with mashed fruit I don't know if that includes curing time so that's what I am guessing 😅. But we will use it as soon as it is done curing.

Amazing job! Those kids better be happy. 😂
Thanks so much I hope they are my first attempt at making banana soap was a fail cosmeticly nice soap but they turned army green lol.

Did you use any vanilla stabilizer? Those banana FOs like to darken things up. EDIT: NM, I just re-read your top post where you said no stabilizer. You were smart to work around the color!

Did you use any vanilla stabilizer? Those banana FOs like to darken things up. EDIT: NM, I just re-read your top post where you said no stabilizer. You were smart to work around the color!
Thanks so much! My first banana soap I made I used the Vanilla stabilizer and it turned army green almost brown so I learnt my lesson 😆

I love the embed! Which fragrance did you use by the way? I have tried the one from WSP and it faded for me.
Thank you I'm really excited about the banana embeds too! I used 2 different FOs half and half the first one is just banana from Voyageur (canadian soap suppliers) and a banana cream pie FO from Suds n' Scents the mixture is amazing I will let everyone know if the scent fades after it cures! I don't know who WSP is are they any good.

Attachments

• 20221210_222506.jpg
    20221210_222506.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
They look amazing. Just a heads up when you use mashed banana etc reduce your liquid by the same weight. You might have done that, just thinking it could be the reason why it was still soft.

You should be thrilled -- it is stunning! I'm always impressed with straight layers because they're so hard to do. You must not be new to soaping. Remind me how you made the banana slices? Just wondering if a 1" diameter column mold would work if you think they're too large?

@CLMP Wsp stands for Wholesale Supplies Plus. Their fragrances are generally good, I find them pricey though, so I usually wait for their sales. I don’t know if they ship to Canada

They look amazing. Just a heads up when you use mashed banana etc reduce your liquid by the same weight. You might have done that, just thinking it could be the reason why it was still soft.
I think your right because I didn't think to subtract the bananas it's my first time trying it but I will remember that for next time thank you.

You should be thrilled -- it is stunning! I'm always impressed with straight layers because they're so hard to do. You must not be new to soaping. Remind me how you made the banana slices? Just wondering if a 1" diameter column mold would work if you think they're too large?
Thank you I am so thrilled these turned out. I have only been making soap for 3 months LOL I have officially made 24 batches since Sept lol 😆 I just counted last night but I have been practicing my layers over and over I also took your advices to make layers to make separate batches for each layer I like that. The way I get that straight line is to pour my layer when it's thinner before it gets to thick some times it still gets abit thick. I made the banana slices with a mold I bought from Van Yula in the states they have the best molds I could find. They also have really nice men's line of men's fragrance and stuff for shaving soaps. For the color I use extra virgin OO with my hard oils using titanium dioxide and I get a nice cream colored off white. Then I used poppyseeds to press in to the banana slices to make banana seeds they were so fun to make.

I’m not sure how the OP made her slices but you can find molds all over Etsy. Here’s one.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/718470...eEyaHmD69FIB5bngklCQiYnUQ0oVJ11waAk37EALw_wcB
This mold is from Van Yulay they have the best molds
20221211_103030.jpg

So I checked on my banana soap this morning and now that it has been curing for 10 days I noticed that a couple of the middle bars have the dreaded ring! 😆 Should I set my freezer to a colder postion or would that ruin my food in there! It seems hard to prevent gell faze unless I use single bar molds.
20221220_120630.jpg

perhaps if the bars were thinner that would Help? It sounds like you dud everything you could to avoid gel phase, sometimes the ring goes away if it is only there because the center is still moist.

Back