Marseille/Castille soap (with seawater) help and suggestions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirtim100

Reaction score
Hello all

I live in North East Spain, so two ingredients that are easy to obtain are good olive oil and seawater. It's an embarassment of riches, so I'm thinking of making a Castille/Marseille type soap. I made some before but this time I want to make it with seawater.

It'll have to be CP because I don't have a crockpot yet.

I want to use as much OO as possible, about 70-80%

Any help, guidance, suggestions, links to other recipes, etc., very gratefully received.

Happy soaping everyone

You can use as much or as little OO as you want. I'm one who doesn't like castile. But, many do. I never use more than 25% OO. But, with that being said you could do 80% OO, 15% CO and 5% Castor. Use sea water as your liquid to mix your lye.

Hello all

I live in North East Spain, so two ingredients that are easy to obtain are good olive oil and seawater. It's an embarassment of riches, so I'm thinking of making a Castille/Marseille type soap. I made some before but this time I want to make it with seawater.

It'll have to be CP because I don't have a crockpot yet.

I want to use as much OO as possible, about 70-80
Try a few small batches. I use 100% OO with seawater (make sure it is clean and fresh and strain it).

Loved the look of the soaps that Kiwimoose made. Mine always look like a product of the local village idiot. One day I shall buy a decent soap cutter, and moulds, and...

Many thanks to you all for taking the trouble to respond and look up stuff. Much appreciated, and I'll let you all know how the experiment goes.

Happy soaping, everyone

Smack Laugh.gif

Well, the village idiot made some soap.

80% OO
15% CO
5% Castor
Strained, fresh seawater and the corresponding dose of lye

Dash of lavender and sweet orange EO.

Came to trace quicker than I imagined, and the lye liquid was milky, but it mixed nicely and is now sitting in its moulds, I'm waiting to hear a dull thud from the back room as the whole thing explodes in a ball of fire, but faith conquers all...

I have the feeling as a complete new boy that soapmaking is vaguely akin to alchemy, there are an awful lot of unknowns that you throw together in a pan with the hope that it all turns to gold. Great fun...

Happy soaping, everyone

Will do, promise. As soon as they're out of their moulds (tomorrow or Wednesday)

BTW, and out of this topic, is there a thread on homemade/recycled moulds? I saw a mention of Pringles cartons for round soaps, but there is a slight problem; they have aluminium linings. I used some egg custard containers for this soap, and they seem to be doing the job very nicely. Win/win situation, buy the custard, stuff your face with it, recycle the containers as moulds, make nice shaped soaps, keep the planet from drowning in rubbish. Fat, happy and ecologically sound...

Any help gratefully received.

Happy soaping, everyone

is there a thread on homemade/recycled moulds?
While it's best to start a new thread when you switch topics, here's the best way to search SMF: GOOGLE:
(type your keywords here) site:soapmakingforum.com
If you want to search for a phrase, put the phrase in quotes.
You can include individual words along with phrases

Also, you might enjoy this thread -- it is a fun read about what pitfalls await Newbies:
What advice would you give to your beginning soaping self?
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ou-give-to-your-beginning-soaping-self.62916/

ETA: When searching, you may have better luck using "mold" instead of "mould". ;) The subject has been discussed many times. The Beginner's Forum would be a good place to search as well.

Loved the look of the soaps that Kiwimoose made. Mine always look like a product of the local village idiot. One day I shall buy a decent soap cutter, and moulds, and...

Many thanks to you all for taking the trouble to respond and look up stuff. Much appreciated, and I'll let you all know how the experiment goes.

Happy soaping, everyone
I hear you re what your soaps look like..........sigh

While it's best to start a new thread when you switch topics, here's the best way to search SMF: GOOGLE:
(type your keywords here) site:soapmakingforum.com
If you want to search for a phrase, put the phrase in quotes.
You can include individual words along with phrases

Also, you might enjoy this thread -- it is a fun read about what pitfalls await Newbies:
What advice would you give to your beginning soaping self?
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ou-give-to-your-beginning-soaping-self.62916/

ETA: When searching, you may have better luck using "mold" instead of "mould". ;) The subject has been discussed many times. The Beginner's Forum would be a good place to search as well.

Many thanks!

Just tried out the two links and they work really well. The embarassing thing is that the pitfalls thread talks about disasters I have just committed, or am about to...

Thanks again and happy soaping

Back