Maroon and Gray

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live in a part of the US where (American) football rivalries are a way of life. I shared that I made my tiger stripes for Auburn University in my home state. Well, I work with a ton of Mississippi State fans, and they are demanding “equal time.” My challenge is their school colors..thus the title of the post. Maroon is likely a difficult color to achieve in the first place, and I’m guessing it will bleed like a proverbial “struck pig.” All I can thing to do is that side-swirl technique I’ve done lately, leaving most of the soap white and accenting with maroon and gray at about 10% each of the batter. What are my options for cutting back on color bleed. Will sodium lactate help with that? Optionally, I could also do the base color as gray and swirl with maroon and white to make it a bit more interesting.

Red Brick Oxide becomes almost Maroon, with cure, but it absolutely bleeds like a stuck pig.

I don't think SL would alter color bleeding, and don't recall ever seeing anything to support that idea.

Here is an article that addresses how to tackle this problem: https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...-pour-soap/bleeding-colors-whats-that-halo-2/

She states that you need to use non-bleeding colorants. Here is one that might work for maroon: https://www.brambleberry.com/shop-b...orants/pigments/burgundy-pigment/V000600.html

If you don't want bleed between your maroon and your white, I strongly encourage you to use a non-bleeding colorant. My beautiful ghost swirl with a bleeding colorant (red brick oxide) eventually was a solid mass of only the one color after cure. And it really did migrate fairly quickly, but I did use a lot of the colorant, so perhaps it wouldn't have migrated as fast had I used less.

Red Brick Oxide becomes almost Maroon, with cure, but it absolutely bleeds like a stuck pig.

I don't think SL would alter color bleeding, and don't recall ever seeing anything to support that idea.

Here is an article that addresses how to tackle this problem: https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...-pour-soap/bleeding-colors-whats-that-halo-2/

She states that you need to use non-bleeding colorants. Here is one that might work for maroon: https://www.brambleberry.com/shop-b...orants/pigments/burgundy-pigment/V000600.html

If you don't want bleed between your maroon and your white, I strongly encourage you to use a non-bleeding colorant. My beautiful ghost swirl with a bleeding colorant (red brick oxide) eventually was a solid mass of only the one color after cure. And it really did migrate fairly quickly, but I did use a lot of the colorant, so perhaps it wouldn't have migrated as fast had I used less.
I’m not worried about bleed between colors, but onto washcloths and red suds.

Other than the red brick oxide, which definitely produces pink suds, the only other reds I've used are micas, but I don't like a lot of red in soap, so my experience is limited. I am sure others will come along with a lot more experience with reds and be able to make recommendations of how to avoid bleedy soap suds with darker shades of red.

I'd call the soap I made with red sandalwood maroon I think. It's not a very good pic though. I'm not home so I can't show you yet how it has faded but it's still a maroon, albeit less saturated.

Also, I cannot say that whatever red sandalwood you'll find will give you the same color. But it doesn't bleed hehehe

The closest I have to maroon is Merlot Sparkle Mica from BB. When I did a Google search it says maroon is primarily red with hint of blue (5:1 red:blue) then add a titch of yellow until you get the maroon you want. When I've used the Merlot Sparkle I haven't gotten pink suds but I also don't add it to the whole batter, just part. If you want to avoid maroon staining and suds, try a fun swirl and that should cut down on the potential problem. I think your Mississippi State fans will be pleased!

Try playing with the color blender on the Nurture soap site. I would play with the various reds with dark purple, dark blue, black. I got a good burgundy/maroon once - couldn't exactly repeat it. I think I used Vibrance or Ruby Red from Nurture and a now discontinued mauve with a bit of black. I'll see if I can find any notes, but it was quite awhile ago so it might take some digging.

Here's a thread I started when I was wanting to make this color. Not much there but something might help.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/how-to-get-a-good-burgandy-color.56192/#post-544141

Last edited by a moderator:
Burgundy / maroon is such an elusive color! Once by accident I made a maroonish soap when I mixed red Moroccan clay, red Sandalwood powder and madder root. It took a lot of them to make a decent dark colored soap and I wish I had a picture but it was so long ago. I recently got a bag of American red oxide from Nurture and it is very brickish in color. Not what I consider a real red. I wonder if mixing with a bit of a black or blue colorant would make it burgundy? Hmm I can’t experiment now cuz I’m on the road for vacay but I might try when I come back!

Maroon, it appears to me, is likely a combo of red, black and a tiny bit of blue. I used 3 parts brick red oxide, 1/2 part black oxide and 1/2 part blue ultramarine, but I don't think it got dark enough to be considered maroon. I'll find out when I cut it tonight. I attempted a side-swirl, but instead of swirling with maroon and gray, I used gray in the main body of the soap and accented with "maroon" and white. It may be a royal mess.

I like it. Classy, like your other soaps :)

And good on ya to think of mixing in blue. I'm reminded of mixing oil paints hehehe

Back