Maroon and Gray

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by DWinMadison, May 26, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. May 26, 2019 #1

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

Supporting Member

I live in a part of the US where (American) football rivalries are a way of life. I shared that I made my tiger stripes for Auburn University in my home state. Well, I work with a ton of Mississippi State fans, and they are demanding “equal time.” My challenge is their school colors..thus the title of the post. Maroon is likely a difficult color to achieve in the first place, and I’m guessing it will bleed like a proverbial “struck pig.” All I can thing to do is that side-swirl technique I’ve done lately, leaving most of the soap white and accenting with maroon and gray at about 10% each of the batter. What are my options for cutting back on color bleed. Will sodium lactate help with that? Optionally, I could also do the base color as gray and swirl with maroon and white to make it a bit more interesting.

KristaY and Serene like this.
  2. May 26, 2019 #2

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Red Brick Oxide becomes almost Maroon, with cure, but it absolutely bleeds like a stuck pig.

I don't think SL would alter color bleeding, and don't recall ever seeing anything to support that idea.

Here is an article that addresses how to tackle this problem: https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...-pour-soap/bleeding-colors-whats-that-halo-2/

She states that you need to use non-bleeding colorants. Here is one that might work for maroon: https://www.brambleberry.com/shop-b...orants/pigments/burgundy-pigment/V000600.html

If you don't want bleed between your maroon and your white, I strongly encourage you to use a non-bleeding colorant. My beautiful ghost swirl with a bleeding colorant (red brick oxide) eventually was a solid mass of only the one color after cure. And it really did migrate fairly quickly, but I did use a lot of the colorant, so perhaps it wouldn't have migrated as fast had I used less.

3. May 26, 2019 #3

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

Supporting Member

I’m not worried about bleed between colors, but onto washcloths and red suds.

4. May 26, 2019 #4

earlene

earlene

earlene

Other than the red brick oxide, which definitely produces pink suds, the only other reds I've used are micas, but I don't like a lot of red in soap, so my experience is limited. I am sure others will come along with a lot more experience with reds and be able to make recommendations of how to avoid bleedy soap suds with darker shades of red.

5. May 26, 2019 #5

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I'd call the soap I made with red sandalwood maroon I think. It's not a very good pic though. I'm not home so I can't show you yet how it has faded but it's still a maroon, albeit less saturated.

Also, I cannot say that whatever red sandalwood you'll find will give you the same color. But it doesn't bleed hehehe

6. May 27, 2019 #6

KristaY

KristaY

KristaY

Supporting Member

The closest I have to maroon is Merlot Sparkle Mica from BB. When I did a Google search it says maroon is primarily red with hint of blue (5:1 red:blue) then add a titch of yellow until you get the maroon you want. When I've used the Merlot Sparkle I haven't gotten pink suds but I also don't add it to the whole batter, just part. If you want to avoid maroon staining and suds, try a fun swirl and that should cut down on the potential problem. I think your Mississippi State fans will be pleased!

7. May 27, 2019 #7

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Try playing with the color blender on the Nurture soap site. I would play with the various reds with dark purple, dark blue, black. I got a good burgundy/maroon once - couldn't exactly repeat it. I think I used Vibrance or Ruby Red from Nurture and a now discontinued mauve with a bit of black. I'll see if I can find any notes, but it was quite awhile ago so it might take some digging.

Here's a thread I started when I was wanting to make this color. Not much there but something might help.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/how-to-get-a-good-burgandy-color.56192/#post-544141

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2019
  8. May 28, 2019 #8

SideDoorSoaps

SideDoorSoaps

SideDoorSoaps

Burgundy / maroon is such an elusive color! Once by accident I made a maroonish soap when I mixed red Moroccan clay, red Sandalwood powder and madder root. It took a lot of them to make a decent dark colored soap and I wish I had a picture but it was so long ago. I recently got a bag of American red oxide from Nurture and it is very brickish in color. Not what I consider a real red. I wonder if mixing with a bit of a black or blue colorant would make it burgundy? Hmm I can’t experiment now cuz I’m on the road for vacay but I might try when I come back!

9. May 28, 2019 #9

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

Supporting Member

Maroon, it appears to me, is likely a combo of red, black and a tiny bit of blue. I used 3 parts brick red oxide, 1/2 part black oxide and 1/2 part blue ultramarine, but I don't think it got dark enough to be considered maroon. I'll find out when I cut it tonight. I attempted a side-swirl, but instead of swirling with maroon and gray, I used gray in the main body of the soap and accented with "maroon" and white. It may be a royal mess.

10. May 28, 2019 #10

earlene

earlene

earlene

Can't wait to see your cut soap, Daryl.

DWinMadison likes this.
  11. May 28, 2019 #11

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

Supporting Member

Thanks. This one has me nervous. Gray soap could be really ugly.

12. May 29, 2019 #12
  13. May 29, 2019 #13

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I like it. Classy, like your other soaps :)

And good on ya to think of mixing in blue. I'm reminded of mixing oil paints hehehe

14. May 29, 2019 #14

SideDoorSoaps

SideDoorSoaps

SideDoorSoaps

I think it came out well! Maybe a bit lighter grey and the maroon will pop more? I think they are conflicting values.

DWinMadison likes this.
  15. May 29, 2019 #15

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

Supporting Member

Thanks. I'm hoping the cure will lighten the grey a bit, but that's likely just wishful thinking.