Marketing "Pure" Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbeck3579

Reaction score
Hope you find this as comical as I did. I was in our local farm store "Rural King" and noticed this soap. I couldn't believe the price and it was marketed to hunters.
soap1_zpspvqqtfv9.jpg

soap_zpsxpg1edqc.jpg
http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:
I've seen that soap at Rural King.

As an aside, I LOVE that store. It's the only place I can find 100% Lye in between ordering it.

The price is ok, its a big bar of soap. I can't get over the hides human scent though.

..until the first drop of sweat exits your pores, at which point the deer knows exactly where you are.

There are certainly some natural oils that can mask human scent, but nothing's 100% effective. Best case, you radiate that scent instead, and if it's not native to the place where you are, the animal knows that something's up.

Hides human scent and lasts up to a month. It reads like a once a month shower will keep you safe from other animals smelling you, hahaha. I know the intent of the message is the soap lasts up to a month, but wouldn't that depend on how often the hunter bathes? I couldn't help but laugh -- Honey, I only need to bathe once a month during hunting season, too funny. Guessing he won't have his honey long, unless we are referencing characters in the movie "Deliverance" hehehe.

The price is ok, its a big bar of soap. I can't get over the hides human scent though.

I'm officially getting old. I can picture my grandparents and what they would say if someone charged a premium for lard and lye -- things that were so cheap but had to be used on the farm to save money. I also know that the saying "chickenfeed" when referencing something very affordable no longer applies. Feed for chickens is expensive, and my grandparents are probably rolling in their graves. All of this makes me feel very very old, but by today's standards I'm not THAT old, hehehe.

I have seen that. Our Rural King also has bars of small brightly colored unwrapped soap. I'll try to remember to take a picture when I'm there next.

I'm guessing, but if it is "food grade" it means it was rendered in a somewhat clean environment with clean water and refrigeration??? With an industrial grade it wouldn't matter what was used to boil the fat (chemicals, dirty equipment) and the temperature could fluctuate??? I dunno. I hesitated when using the word "clean" because most of us know what a meat packing plant looks like, and clean isn't exactly how we would describe it. Clean by FDA standards is a more accurate description :D Curious, I did a quick Google search and industrial lard is used for lamps (replacing whale oil) and machinery.

Last edited:
Ha! This is why I started making soap. I bought this at my local Ace Hardware a couple of years ago. It was the only soap that didn't make my skin dry. But Ace stopped carrying it: "because it contains lye and meth manufacturers are using to make meth." (I kid you not. That is the reason I was given for them longer carrying it.) Anyway, I decided to make lard soap myself. I did the research and made my first batch of soap in April. Then the addiction kicked in and now I can't stop. I make a batch of soap every weekend (more or less). They have a "poison ivy" formula that is half the size but costs the same.

Back