Market Check Out Station

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those of you who sell at markets, how do you set up your "check out station"? Last year, I used a basket, about 8" square that held bags (I use paper bags with handles), and any packaging or bag inserts I might need. It also held a notebook, a pen, and various sundries.

However, I always felt it looked "messy" at that corner of the table and I'm not sure just how to work it in to my display. I did use a TV (folding) side table as a wrapping station at Christmas. It worked but we were constantly walking around it, so not very practical. We're always indoors and our table space is about 6' x 4', with some room for a chair (have to be able to sit some of the time).

What do you do?

I keep my cash box inside one of my soap displays (it's hallow in the back) and keep business cards next to it. My bags I keep in a basket either on my extra chair or I hang them from the back of one of my shelves with a large S hook. If' I'm outdoors, I hook a couple S hooks in the leg holes with bags hanging and handy to grab.

We have four mini sets of steps for display that are hollow underneath - we keep things that sell quickly there, alomg with bags, money etc. Keeps everything to hand but out of sight for customers

For the last several years at the weekly farmers market, I have a rolling zip tote bag with all of the bags, pens, etc. It has compartments for all of these items. If it is windy I just leave the bags in the tote and have it sitting just under the table so I can reach and grab bags out (if not windy, hang from a S hook on the back of the soap display). I have enough room behind one of my shorter displays to write tickets, put I-phone, and cc reader.My cash box sits on the table between my products and a large cooler with farm fresh eggs that I sell.

I've been contemplating this as well. I am going to try just getting a crate and setting it so that the open end is facing towards me. This gives a "wall" (the bottom of the crate) towards the shopper, that I can hang my "need a business card? snap a pic" sign*. There is enough space inside the crate to set my cashbox, open it and make change without being awkward, and my bags slide in beside the cashbox. One of the crate sides (now the "top") can then act as a setting space for customers to set the soaps and I can bag from there as I'm ringing them up. It moves their bag up closer to them - I can't tell you how many times someone has paid for something and started to walk away without their bag! Crazy, but I've done it myself because the bag was lower on the table and I was talking to the seller, so the bag was out of my line of vision. Moving it up would put it back into the line of vision while chatting.

* I'm just going to throw this out there in case someone is wondering. I still do business cards and have them available, but I have discovered more often that if I have my information available for someone to take a picture of, they are more likely to keep the picture than the business card. So I made a sign inviting people to take a picture of, with all my contact info plus info that I couldn't fit on my business card (such as the fact that I do custom orders, wedding favors, shower favors, etc.).

Oh I like the Crate as a cubby.

I currently use the Apron for my Money. Tablet and/or phone is on the table by me but not in reach of anyone as it is covered by the rack.... also there is the bags I use.

I leave a spot on the table where I can put the bag for the customer while I am scanning their card or making change. It is usually where I have a bunch of my Biz cards .

I have learned to cover ALL of the front of the table with stuff so people CAN'T put their drink on the table or LEAN on the table. I always feel bad asking someone not to lean or put their drink there while they are talking to someone else :rolleyes:

I've been contemplating this as well. I am going to try just getting a crate and setting it so that the open end is facing towards me. This gives a "wall" (the bottom of the crate) towards the shopper, that I can hang my "need a business card? snap a pic" sign*. There is enough space inside the crate to set my cashbox, open it and make change without being awkward, and my bags slide in beside the cashbox. One of the crate sides (now the "top") can then act as a setting space for customers to set the soaps and I can bag from there as I'm ringing them up. It moves their bag up closer to them - I can't tell you how many times someone has paid for something and started to walk away without their bag! Crazy, but I've done it myself because the bag was lower on the table and I was talking to the seller, so the bag was out of my line of vision. Moving it up would put it back into the line of vision while chatting.

* I'm just going to throw this out there in case someone is wondering. I still do business cards and have them available, but I have discovered more often that if I have my information available for someone to take a picture of, they are more likely to keep the picture than the business card. So I made a sign inviting people to take a picture of, with all my contact info plus info that I couldn't fit on my business card (such as the fact that I do custom orders, wedding favors, shower favors, etc.).

That's kind of the direction I'm leaning towards now. Before the new season starts up, I think I'll be picking up a couple of wooden crates at Michael's. They can be used numerous ways, I'm thinking, as well as using them for carrying stock and supplies. John suggested using a couple of antique apple crates we have but they're pretty rickety, as much as I like them.

AMD, I love the idea of snapping a pic of the business card info. I may just incorporate that, as well.

Latest posts

Back