Margarine in soap anyone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am vegan but the question occurred to me when the store was out of palm shortening and had margarine of all things next to the empty space. If you do proceed, would be interesting to know how it worked out.

Don't know if this helps but I saw the soap calculator app Mendrulandia had margarine as a oil to make a recipe with. It didn't specify the type of margarine though so maybe just use it as a stepping stone?
I'd sure like to try a really tiny batch just to see how it fairs. (So you're not wasting lots of supplies)

Thanks for your replies, everyone. Yes as regards the other additives, I was considering boiling it up first in water to try and clarify it, and then weighing out what's left to calculate the lye. On the other hand maybe it's not worth the bother, but the block of marge keeps looking at me whenever I open the fridge door ....... I didn't like the pastry I made with it.
If you are going to throw the margarine out anyway, it does not hurt to try to make soap out of it. Call it a science experiment and see what it does!

Back