Margarine in soap anyone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egzandra

Reaction score
I have a block of hard marge for baking in my fridge and I keep looking at it and wondering if I could make soap with it! The list of ingredients say that it's a blend of rapeseed and palm oil 75% oil. Melinda Coss's book lists margarine in the sap table,

So I thought I would lay these questions before the soapmakers of the forum. Has anyone used margarine?

If so, how did it go? and should I render it first to get rid of whatever the other 25% is before I calculate how much lye to use.

If you have any thoughts I would be grateful for them. I still haven't used my chicken fat that I have been saving, yet but I have about 1lb of it now so the time is drawing near.

I've never used margarine, but it probably has starch, possibly gelatin, and water in it and those may be difficult to remove.

let us know if you try it

Thanks for your replies, everyone. Yes as regards the other additives, I was considering boiling it up first in water to try and clarify it, and then weighing out what's left to calculate the lye. On the other hand maybe it's not worth the bother, but the block of marge keeps looking at me whenever I open the fridge door ....... I didn't like the pastry I made with it.

If you watch Nancy Today videos, I'm almost positive she did a margarine soap once. You might wanna do a search.

carebear said:
LJA said:
If you watch Nancy Today videos, I'm almost positive she did a margarine soap once. You might wanna do a search.
:roll:[/quote

Personal attacks are not permitted. We reserve the right to remove posts that are abusive, hateful, or defame or insult anyone. - Moderator ChrissyB

:D I looked up Nancy Today on YouTube, thanks for the idea, however I did not find any videos on soap making with margarine, only one of Nancy attempting to make margarine out of milk and oil, with lecithin from capsules which she snipped into the mixture.

I also found a video of a young woman making soap out of breast milk! My husband wanted to know how I was going to manage to do that one. :D

As far as soap making, margarine would be similar to Crisco, wouldn't it? You are adventurous for even thinking about it. Sounds like something I would do. :lol:

I guess for me, I would not use margarine. My idea of homemade soap is to have a soap that is free of all those weird man made chemicals. Another thing, any food that says Poly anything in just a fancy way of saying plastic. Those health food experts talk about the "C" word when they talk about poly-unsaturated fats so I shy way for the more natural. you could always try it once though.

soap-n-up said:
I guess for me, I would not use margarine. My idea of homemade soap is to have a soap that is free of all those weird man made chemicals. Another thing, any food that says Poly anything in just a fancy way of saying plastic. Those health food experts talk about the "C" word when they talk about poly-unsaturated fats so I shy way for the more natural. you could always try it once though.

Thank you for this, yes as you say we are not quite sure what is in the stuff we buy and it's true I wouldn't make it and give it to someone as if it was special, no harm trying it out though. I might make one small batch!

Egzandra said:
:
I also found a video of a young woman making soap out of breast milk! :D

Not trying to be inflammatory or defamatory or anything - but does anyone else kinda cringe at that - soap made with someone's breast milk? Maybe it's just my odd thing - now I know we drink cows milk all the time and it is sort of the same idea - but it just makes me cringe a bit! I guess it's true what they say then - soapers will put anything in soap!

Well, each to their own - but there is something about making soap out of breast milk that makes me feel uncomfortable, even though, as you say, we would use cow's or goat's milk without a thought.

I mainly thought it was a waste of something as precious as breast milk - but I have no right to criticize. Sorry if what I've written offends anyone. :)

......and you'd have to have a lot of babies to like keep that particular soap line open - I think it might hurt after a while! :?

tincanac said:
......and you'd have to have a lot of babies to like keep that particular soap line open - I think it might hurt after a while! :?

:shock: :oops: :lol:

Nah, just a baby every 3 years or so. ;) :D

On the topic of using margarine though, I don't think I would just because if I recall, it's about 1 molecule short of being plastic (has always been my excuse... err... I mean reason for using butter in foods. ;) ). However, if you decide to give it a try, I'd love to see! Margarine tends to turn liquid at room temp, so I've always wondered why.

Incidentally, isn't rapeseed the same as canola? I thought I read that somewhere.

i asked the rapeseed/canola question a while ago of the housemate who is wise int hat kind of thing...

according to her, its related, but slightly genetically different. Hope that helps.

Cheers
Deb

I have a list of different types of vegetables and seeds (it's a sort of "superfoods of the vegetable world" thing), a little while ago I had a health issue come up so I decided to go all organic/unprocessed blah blah blah. Anyway, on that list, it does list canola and rapeseed as the same thing. I am talking about the actual seed before pressing.

Latest posts

Back