Mardi Gras Krewe favors - 2019 Party Theme is '50 Years from Woodstock'

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerelife

Reaction score
Ok, so I make the 'lagniappe' gift bags for a friend of mine to present to his fellow Krewe members at their annual Mardi Gras pre-party. This year's theme is "50 Years from Woodstock" and we agreed on one full-sized boxed soap per custom 'Minou Bleu' bag. I was born in 1969, so when I think of Woodstock I think of Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin since I've always loved their music. But when I looked at the set list for Woodstock I saw that Jefferson Airplane performed "White Rabbit" (while I'm not really a fan of the band, this song is so trippy that I've always liked it!)
My friend has given me free reign saying "I love the way you think, so make whatever you want and send me the bill."
So I'm thinking at least 2 soaps since I want his guests to have a choice and not everyone loves the hippie scents of patchouli and/or nag champa that I feel HAVE to be represented in at least one of the soaps!
I'm thinking a Jimi Hendrix soap of either "Voodoo Child" or "Purple Haze" in patchouli or nag champa ( no-brainers and far from original ideas for New Orleans - but they make sense and are hard to resist), and a Janis Joplin "Summertime" soap scented with honeysuckle. I would like to offer a third option of a Jefferson Airplane "White Rabbit" soap, but I'm at a loss for a scent that conveys the 'trippiness' of this song and will allow for a white soap. I just got Bossa Nova FO from Soapalooza and it's sweet enough OOB to make me think of the "Eat Me/Drink Me" items of 'Alice in Wonderland', yet quirky enough to add a bit of the unusual. The Soapalooza website says that this FO is non-discoloring, but since I haven't soaped it yet I'm a little wary. Any advice on this FO and how much TD I might need to add to make a white soap? Or any other ideas y'all think I should consider?
Oh, and I need to make these soaps by next week to have a 7 and a half week cure time!! Totally my fault for waiting so late, but I've been busy making purses for my own Krewe!!
https://www.kreweofnyx.org/
If any of y'all will be in town for Mardi Gras, I'm on Float #26. Hold up a SMF sign and I'll throw you the good stuff!! :)

White Rabbit at Woodstock

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t have any scent suggestions but if you are worried about discoloration you can always match it to Alice’s dress. The classic Disney blue and white gives you options or there are versions of the book where Alice is drawn with a yellow dress if you want to match/contrast other colors if your bags.

Maybe some scent options could be:
Smoke: caterpiller’s hookah is mentioned as well as the referenced drug culture (or a marijuana scent if you want to go full out)
Flowers: there is a song sung by flowers in the Disney movie and Alice wakes up among daisies, but may be too much of a stretch
Tea: the mad hatter’s tea party

Back