March 2020 Challenge: inlaid soap design

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Primrose - something I have been meaning to try!
2. Mobjack Bay - excited to give this a try!
3. dibbles - time to embrace the mess I know I'll make!
4. bookreader451 - I just purchased clay carving tools. I am better at art than hanger swirls.
5. Arimara - I need to bum some tools if I can. It's a good excuse for doodling.
6. Jersey Girl- this looks like fun! Excited to experiment with this!
7. amd - hope I can "carve" out some time for this
8. Callie - I was intimidated at first, but after some thinking in the shower with my kid's bath toys, I have ideas. Wow!
9. Atiz - my first soap challenge, it will be a mess, but excited to try it!
10. PenelopeJane - Haven't made artistic soap in ages, this might be the time to start.
11. Amy78130- I haven't tried this before, sounds like fun!!
12. StormyK - Count me in!
13. Serene - Lucky 13. Dibbles made me do it.
14. Glenda - Is it too late to sign up?
I'm sorry you asked a question and I didn't answer.. sing up is open until the entry thread closes (March 28th 23:59pm GMT) so welcome to the challenge!

Dang! Of all of the things that might have happened, the small loaves I made for carving went through partial gel. I’m trying to fix a couple of bars in the oven now. In the interim, I have a couple of ungelled bars of leftover soap and I’m carving one of them now. Is there a “petite” carved soap category? :p

@Serene I'm so sorry things haven't worked out the way you hoped and having to rebatch is never really fun.. but I've seen your entries in other challenges and you can do amazing things, so I'm curious to see what 'failure' means to you.. ;)

As promised:

Attachments

• failures.jpg
    failures.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 51
Here’s the first bar of soap I carved for practice. It’s just 2x2, but was more challenging to carve than my entry soap due to the nature of the pattern. I could have left more soap on top to plane off. It’s way more uneven than I remember from last night. I like it though and would consider making bigger bars this way for special gifts.

77BA140A-7562-4A71-9BAC-0A222C3F5D15.jpeg

Here’s the first bar of soap I carved for practice. It’s just 2x2, but was more challenging to carve than my entry soap due to the nature of the pattern. I could have left more soap on top to plane off. It’s way more uneven than I remember from last night. I like it though and would consider making bigger bars this way for special gifts.

View attachment 44696

Really pretty! Reminds me of Wedgewood

View attachment 44696
This is really pretty! Great design and I also love the colors.

No worries @penelopejane that's life unfortunately. It's been a weird and crazy month for everyone I guess..

Just a reminder that the entry thread will close soon. Officially in three hours, but I'll go to sleep before that and close it in the morning so there will be a few (+-6) extra hours if someone is still trying to upload their entry ;)

I jinxed myself when I said my soap usually hardens quickly. My soap was definitely too soft to carve but I managed to do one bar of each design and will do the others later.

Here is my non entry

FB_IMG_1585440052610.jpg
FB_IMG_1585440034364.jpg

The entry thread is now closed. Voting links will be sent out soon. Well done everyone and good luck voting!

Back