March 2020 Challenge: inlaid soap design

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darnit... dontchaknow I just came up with the perfect comment for my signup... Hope I can "carve" out some time for this... a day late and a dollar short every time. Well I did some YouTube stalking - I mean watching - to see how this is done, so I feel a bit more confident that maybe I can do this. Watching the elephant carving was neat how it was done so meticulously in several pours. I have an idea now, execution will be the challenge...

I did sign up... but I only sing if 1) completely inebriated and 2) you need a room cleared...
Ha! Me too... :p and now you got me thinking a 'who clears the room the fastest with their singing' competition would be awesome! I'm sorry I missed that you had already signed up. I'll update the sign up list with your comment to make up for it..;)

1. Primrose - something I have been meaning to try!
2. Mobjack Bay - excited to give this a try!
3. dibbles - time to embrace the mess I know I'll make!
4. bookreader451 - I just purchased clay carving tools. I am better at art than hanger swirls.
5. Arimara - I need to bum some tools if I can. It's a good excuse for doodling.
6. Jersey Girl- this looks like fun! Excited to experiment with this!
7. amd - hope I can "carve" out some time for this
8. Callie - I was intimidated at first, but after some thinking in the shower with my kid's bathy toys, I have ideas. Wow!
9. Atiz - my first soap challenge, it will be a mess, but excited to try it!

4. bookreader451 - I just purchased clay carving tools. I am better at art than hanger swirls.
5. Arimara - I need to bum some tools if I can. It's a good excuse for doodling.
8. Callie - I was intimidated at first, but after some thinking in the shower with my kid's bath toys, I have ideas. Wow!
10. PenelopeJane - Haven't made artistic soap in ages, this might be the time to start.

8. Callie - I was intimidated at first, but after some thinking in the shower with my kid's bath toys, I have ideas. Wow!
10. PenelopeJane - Haven't made artistic soap in ages, this might be the time to start.
11. Amy78130- I haven't tried this before, sounds like fun!!

Any of you sculpters got any advice about tools? would you suggest going to an art store or amazon to getting some tools or using some regular household items?

Any of you sculpters got any advice about tools? would you suggest going to an art store or amazon to getting some tools or using some regular household items?
I would suggest starting with household items and seeing how that goes. If you're not satisfied you cab still go to an art store. My carving knife works well, but I think a regular vegetable knife will probably also work. I've seen someone use a combo of scissors and an embossing tool with great success, so lots of things are possible;)

I would suggest starting with household items and seeing how that goes. If you're not satisfied you cab still go to an art store. My carving knife works well, but I think a regular vegetable knife will probably also work. I've seen someone use a combo of scissors and an embossing tool with great success, so lots of things are possible;)
I'm not sure using a knife would be a good idea for me. I just tested that idea and there's no safe way to use a knife sharper than a butter knife (I'm working with a handicap that did not quite go away growing up). Thank you for the advice. I'm sure some other tools I have with come in handy like my favorite fork.

I'm not sure using a knife would be a good idea for me. I just tested that idea and there's no safe way to use a knife sharper than a butter knife (I'm working with a handicap that did not quite go away growing up). Thank you for the advice. I'm sure some other tools I have with come in handy like my favorite fork.
I'm so sorry I didn't know about your handicap. I think there have been some good suggestions by other members.

Hm, I made a promise to myself that I'm NOT going to buy any more tools for anything unless absolutely desperately needed (moving too often). Hope a combination of vegetable knives & knitting needles will do the trick... Will see! Looking forward to doing this, haven't made soap since Christmas.

I'm so sorry I didn't know about your handicap. I think there have been some good suggestions by other members.
No apologies necessary. You didn't know and I don't really advertise that (excuse my word choice). I was inspired to try a cuticle stick I haven't used and tested it on an almost 4 week old bar. I'm glad I ordered a sculpting kit now- I would need it for some design control.

My first plan of attack is going to be using the pointed end of a bamboo skewer for tracing and the guacamole knife for the "digging out".
upload_2020-3-5_8-57-54.png

Something like this but mine came in my avocado bowl so we call it the guacamole knife. It's small and I think will work for my design.

11. Amy78130- I haven't tried this before, sounds like fun!!
12. StormyK - Count me in!

Latest posts

Back