March 2019 SMF Challenge - Felted Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The entry thread is now closed and the link to the Survey Monkey voting document along with the password has been sent to the participants via SMF 'conversations'. Voting is open until around Midnight tonight or until all participants have voted, whichever comes first. At the end of that time, the winners will be posted here at on the entry thread.

Thank you to all who participated. If you did not get your entry in before the deadline, or if you didn't enter at all, but want to post some pictures of felted soap you have done as a result of being inspired by this thread, please feel free to post them here on this thread.

I wanted to try some Celtic knot work and made this. It didn't fit in with my other spring inspired felted soaps so I didn't enter it. I really like the way it came out.
15540540028562041658191.jpg

Happily!! My son & DIL had this decorative glass fish that I loved so much, I cast a DIY silicone soap mold with it. Then I made the soap using the mold I had made. The resulting soap was quite plain with no real design to it, color-wise, as it was just a test of the mold and it sat curing for several months before I thought of felting it. In fact, I had not even learned to felt soap yet when I first made this soap, which was in the Fall.

The following Spring I met my brothers & SIL in Arizona for Spring Training & since she had taken up felting, and I had lots of soap, we decided to do a soap-felting project during our off time (while not at the ball-games). I brought lots of soap with me, and she brought lots of wool roving. Then we found a great little fiber shop and bought some felting needles as well. We died some of the roving, using koolaid and what we didn't use up on that particular venture, we split and I took some of it with me as I headed back toward home. On my way home, I stopped off in Texas and taught my granddaughter how to dye the roving & to felt soap using the same methods. So by the time I got back home again, I had even more wool roving for felting soap.

When I did get back home, it just fell into place to felt the fish soap. After all, it was pretty plain to start with.

So I started with the yellow roving as the base, thinning out the wool as I wrapped it around the fish. I used a bit of tulle that my SIL had given me when we did our felting project at Spring Training in Arizona, a bowl of hot water and my kitchen sink because it's less messy than doing this at a table with the water & all, a felting needle and a mat to protect the work surface. For the fish, I did most of the friction with just my hands rubbing against the tulle-wrapped fish because the shape was not conducive to abrasion on a flat surface. When done with the yellow base, I added the golden-brown lines with needle felting to get it to stay in place against the yellow background prior to additional felting with the tulle. The eye-ball was the same golden brown needle-felted in a small round dot shape, followed by white roving to create the inner dot. A bit of white roving finished off the outer surface and I called it done.

It was really fun to do and I am very proud of my little fish soap. Well, actually it's not really all that little. It's sort of on the big side, but I don't use it because it is a one-of-a-kind. I have not made another felted fish soap since. I really should do a few more to give to my great grand daughters.

Wet well done, I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to our winners for the Felted Soap Challenge (March 2019):

1. Amy78130
2. SunRiseArts
3. MarnieSoapien

Great job everyone!

Fantastic entries! I loved all the winning soaps. Just tremendously cute, all of them. Marnie's dragonfly is to die for! :D

Latest posts

Back