Marbling Inspiration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapswirl

Reaction score
I've been looking at the art of marbling for soapy inspiration and have come across some really beautiful work! I spotted this one on pintrest (original by Kris Larsen) and tried to make a soap in its style.
Clearly I haven't been able to pull off the intricacy of the detail that is in the marbling - I think a bigger 'canvas' (or mould!) would be needed or some much finer tools - all I use is a chopstick to swirl the soap!

marbling inspiration.jpg

20150525_160428.jpg

That is a lovely soap that you made. I think the trick to the other one is that you do a Peacock Swirl, then add the yellow centre and then swirl it out to change it from one to the other. Just opinion of course.

Lindy and cmzaha - now you mention that I think you're right! I still have much to learn!

I think they essentially did a peacock (but just the first part with a comb) but pulled in toward the center from the sides with the comb in a number of passes because the tops of the loops from the comb are all pointing toward the sides. If they combed once, all the tops of the loops would be in the same direction. Then they poured the yellow in the center where everything met and took a chopstick to the yellow and swirled it out in a spiral. That's my theory, anyhow! Nonetheless, you have a very pretty soap there! And the marbling patterns.... lordy, there are so many and they are all gorgeous, aren't they?

Last edited:
I agree with Lindy & Newbie but you sure did an absolutely fantastic replica with just a chopstick! wow!! I'd be happy-totaly tickled with it!

I think they essentially did a peacock (but just the first part with a comb) but pulled in toward the center from the sides with the comb in a number of passes because the tops of the loops from the comb are all pointing toward the sides. If they combed once, all the tops of the loops would be in the same direction. Then they poured the yellow in the center where everything met and took a chopstick to the yellow and swirled it out in a spiral. That's my theory, anyhow! Nonetheless, you have a very pretty soap there! And the marbling patterns.... lordy, there are so many and they are all gorgeous, aren't they?
I do believe you are correct Newbie. Think I will play with it today

Been playing with this and I think it is actually a spin swirl with an extremely light trace. If I am not to tired when I get home from market I am going to try another attempt at this, leaving out the castor in my recipe. My first attempt, even at light trace, was a touch to thick to spin. I do agree that it is racked to the center

Last edited:
I hope you will post what you get, Carolyn. I'd love to see how the theory holds out. It's always fun to guess how something was done but actually doing it is the only way to know.

I am amazed at this. I want to learn how to do colors. I've been looking through the forum for hours and days at different threads to learn about the ins and outs of soap in general and all of the photos are inspiring. Even the ones that the posters are calling poor quality are incredible to me. You are all so generous with your time, talent and knowledge. It is appreciated and inspiring.

I love color. Now that I have a little bit of scents, the next part of my soap allowance is probably going to be to stock up on a LOT of color. Probably going to be a lot of crazy looking 1 lb batches around here for awhile after that.....

Latest posts

Back