Marbley, curdley aarrgh!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggbert

Reaction score
Hi All, I need some help in sorting out why my batches are turning out with this marbled look about them.

I have now made three batches with a very simple palm and coconut oil recipe (using measurements directly from a book). My very first batch, which turned out beautifully was a palm, coconut & olive oil recipe and it turned out beautifully. The only thing I have changed in the process is the oils, I have done everything else the same.

From what I have read this can be caused by inaccurate measuring or letting the mixture cool to quickly. Can anyone else offer any other suggestions??? I might post some pics if it helps anyone identify the problem.

pic of the day

Here is a pic of the worst. I am still not sure what has happened. Admittedly I did not run the recipe through a calculator, but copied it straight from a book. I have made another batch just using a calculator and all seems to be good. But if you have any idea of what may have been the cause of this, and would it be safe to use? For my own use of course.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... =154745610

I'm not real sure what has gone on with it, maybe one of the others can offer some insight. Have you tried the 'tounge test'? (touched it with the tip of your tounge to see if the lye bites you)

Just an FYI, every new recipe you try should be run thru a lye calculator, just in case a typo has been made somewhere in it.

Bear in mind also that every oil has a different SAP value - ie, needs a different amount of lye per gram / kilo / ounce / pound / whatever measurement you use, to turn it into soap. So, if you change the oil that you use in a recipe, you will need to check it thru a calculator, because you will need a different amount of lye.

Back