Maple CP Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetaddy

Reaction score
Greetings soapers!

One of my students is attempting to make a maple-based soap.

Needless to say, it's not coming out too well because he's using Vermont Grade-A amber, and it appears that he's not been taking into account the decreased water ratio. As a result, the lye coagulates in a goopy mess, then hardens and makes my lab equipment problematic for cleaning.

I haven't gone over the math with him yet. But in the meantime I was wondering if any of you might know of maple soap recipes out there that he might be able to use as a base before he starts manipulating variables.

I'm sure it would be quite foamy. But he's going to need to adjust for stickiness, etc., as well. I don't recall seeing any maple EOs out there, but they must exist, right? He's going to need to make about 4lbs of the product, and ideally would use real syrup (however sparingly) at some point in the process.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!!
SweetAddy

I would use a little less water for the lye solution, and mix 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of maple syrup with the remaining bit. You could use warm/hot water and let the syrup mixture cool down.
Add the syrupwater to the soap batter as soon as it's emulsified.
Soap with added sugar (from milks, beer, ordinary granulated sugar) tend to overheat easily, so keep an eye on the temperature.

I remember seeing a youtube video by Soaping 101. She demonstrated a soap with maple syrup. She actually made a 3 layer soap. One layer was honey, one was molasses and one was maple syrup. I think those additions were added at trace and sparingly. Check it out!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Back