Manuka Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
I would like to include Manuka oil in my cp soap but I can't seem to find a safe usage rate for this oil (not even from the suppliers). Can anyone offer any advice?

Manuka (Leptospermum, scoparium) smells nicer than ti-tree (Malaleuca alternifolia). It reminds me of the wax-flowers that come from Western Australia.

Ti-tree is highly anti-fungal, and has some anti-viral properties that Manuka doesn't have, but Manuka is an antioxidant and has stronger antibacterial qualities.

Manuka can be a skin irritant, whereas ti-tree is claimed not to be (but I reckon the vapours of Ti-tree can be irritating to eyes if used neat or in a strong solution, like lice treatments and such).

I haven't tested Manuka for it's antifungal properties, but ti-tree is very effective.
(I've read that Manuka is used for muscular treatments, with strong anti-bacterial uses and that both of them can be a problem for pregnant women, in that they are anti-spasmodics, which can be a dangerous thing during childbirth).

I'm not a fan of ti-tree (walking as a child in sand-dune "forests" of ti-tree put me off - their smell was overwhelming and the mass of contorted trees were totally creepy to my child self! - oddly enough, as an adult I like their shape and the papery bark was always fun to play with/draw on/cook with - it makes a great wrap for steaming fish).

Summary? Manuka looks very good on paper, I'd be careful of the skin irritant aspect and suggest you patch test yourself with some diluted oil first to see whether it bothers you. I personally would use a low concentration - the Myrtles tend to have extraordinary "sticking" power in soaps (says me, who's recently acquired, from a grower/processor up north, some Lemon-Myrtle oil [and a few trees] to play with :mrgreen:).

Last edited:
Thanks Saltedfig - I will keep you advice in mind. I am having a difficult time finding Manuka at a reasonable price. I'd like to also find Kanuka - since both originate from your part of the country would you know of a supplier?

Thanks Saltedfig - I will keep you advice in mind. I am having a difficult time finding Manuka at a reasonable price. I'd like to also find Kanuka - since both originate from your part of the country would you know of a supplier?

Manuka and Kanuka hail from across the ditch in New Zealand (we have a huge range of ti-tree - they name theirs, because they're "special" :mrgreen: ... jjk!).

A quick fling around the web turned up these people, who supply organic oils and do soaps themselves - might be worth a call? http://www.teatreeoil.co.nz/products.php

Manuka and Kanuka hail from across the ditch in New Zealand (we have a huge range of ti-tree - they name theirs, because they're "special" :mrgreen: ... jjk!).

A quick fling around the web turned up these people, who supply organic oils and do soaps themselves - might be worth a call? http://www.teatreeoil.co.nz/products.php

Wow, an Aussie who isn't trying to pinch something good from us ??? :lol:
Crikey, we'll have Phar Lap and pavlovas back too thanks...(you can keep Russell Crowe) lol

sorry gsc - it's an Aussie/Kiwi thing, we both grow ti-tree :)

Wow, an Aussie who isn't trying to pinch something good from us ??? :lol:
Crikey, we'll have Phar Lap and pavlovas back too thanks...(you can keep Russell Crowe) lol

You sold Phar Lap, you made jelly Pavlova and Russell gave a Kiwi try at being an Aussie (twice!)

I say Chinese Gooseberries to your meringue Pavlova ... :razz:

Last edited:
Back