Mango Butter Extracted from Seeds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sax7

Reaction score
Hi. I'm the husband of a 1yr tenured, talented soap/candle maker. Here in Florida mangos are in season and my lady asked me if I could get mango butter from some seeds. I read up on line and said, "no, sorry, no one does it. You need a hydraulic press or solvents." In order to get what she wanted, she insinuated I wasn't up to it. So, I took the challenge, one seed, as an experiment. Peeled the seed from it's casing, let it partially dry, removed the papery skin, let it completely dry. Using a heavy table vice (in lieu of a hydraulic press), put the dried seed in a heavy ziplock with thin wood (heavy cardboard would work,) on either side as a buffer and made several presses to *completely* flatten all parts (this thing can fold a quarter in half, no sweat.) Scaped the mess into a small pot and low boiled for 20 min. Fine mesh strained, then tranferred to a medium non-stick fry pan, very low heat, let the water steam out while stirring like scrambled eggs, pushing to the middle. Then removed, into a shallow bowl, strained again, and used paper towel to carefully pull out remaining water from the edges. Used a hair dryer to get rid of the rest of the water by rolling the oily stuff away from the sides. I was left with a little less than a tablespoon of an oily semi-liquid that looked like tahini. Zero smell. Put some on the back of my hand, and it went on a bit sticky but was completely sucked up by my skin in seconds, leaving it feeling like silk with no residuals. Not my thing, but I know thats good and the skin "ate" it up. Not sure if it's worth it but this stuff is super rich. ..Ok, put it on both hands and my whole face, and I know this is doing some really good stuff to my skin.

Mango butter does feel good on the skin but it sounds like an awful lot of work to get to when you can find mango butter fairly reasonably. I wonder how long it would take you to get 8 oz?

Mango butter does feel good on the skin but it sounds like an awful lot of work to get to when you can find mango butter fairly reasonably. I wonder how long it would take you to get 8 oz?
I would say it is not worth the process! However, some people want the 'just from the plant' possibility (especially for things like aloe which is almost no labor to get fresh product.) Just wanted to share an idea on how to get something from mango seeds if you *really* wanted to. I wouldn't do it again unless I had several dozen seeds. Cheers!

It's the reason it's expensive here (4x the cost of cocoa butter), despite having tons of mangos, and a surplus this year apparently... Too much work for very little yield.

But it's good to know it can be done. I haven't come across anywhere that tells me how to without a press so I really enjoyed reading that. Thank you :)

Latest posts

Back