Mandy from Memphis

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

MandyV

Reaction score
Hey there. New to soaping. I am not so good at making recipies and I am having issues with soda ash. ARG! Anyway, just looking for a good place to say hey or I need help or something. :)

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey and welcome!

I lived close to there for five years. Great city!

CaraBou

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome Mandy. Ash happens! A hot water rinse is an reasonable solution for your less ornate tops.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Mandy and welcome! :wave: Yep, ash happens but it's still annoying! Decreasing my water ratio helped me a ton with ash. My normal is 1.8:1 water:lye ratio and I rarely get ash now.

TeresaT

I see you.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, Mandy. Welcome to the forum. Glad to have another Tennessean on board. Even if we're from opposite ends of the state.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.:)

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome, Mandy! :wave:

Since I've been soaping with a water discount and gelling all my soaps, it's about as rare as hen's teeth that my soap ever comes down with ash.

IrishLass :)

Kamahido

Paladin of Soap
Reaction score
Greetings. I personally add 2% beeswax and my soda ash is practically nonexistent.

MandyV

Reaction score
I suck at math too! That's when my hubby steps in! haha
I might want to try bees wax. Where do you get yours? Thanks!
Welcome, Mandy! :wave:

Since I've been soaping with a water discount and gelling all my soaps, it's about as rare as hen's teeth that my soap ever comes down with ash.

IrishLass :)
Dear IrishLass,

Thank you for that. I might be the only person in the world that uses individual molds and doesn't do blocks or loafs. haha. I can't cut straight and can't afford a cutter right now. Soda ash is an issue even though I cover them and some I actualy had room in the oven but... last time I tried someones oven process it screwed up an entire batch and I was scared to do it again.

If you don't mind me asking but how do you gel yours and I use a 38% H2O. What percent do you use?

Thanks. :)
Mandy

Last edited by a moderator: