making your own silicone molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heart of dixie soap co

Reaction score
i stumbled onto this at a culinary website. it features 3 kinds of easy mix supplies for making your own food grade silicone molds that set up in about 4 hrs.

http://www.culinart.net/silicone.html

i have some super detailed molds that i cant use for c/p. maybe if i pour them in wax, i might be able to create a mold from it. hmmmmm....

anyone make molds before?

monet

I have not, but please keep us posted on your progress. I'm very interested! :)

heart of dixie soap co said:
anyone make molds before?

Heck, I haven't even figured out how to make soap yet! But with a background in advanced composites, I can safely surmise that anyone capable of learning the complexities of soapmaking can easily make silicone molds. Go for it.

silicone molds

i have a couple of large sand dollars my father and i gathered shortly before he passed away. it would be so incredibly special to me if i could make them into soaps.

i'm sure just about everyone has a special little keepsake around the house.

monet

Re: silicone molds

heart of dixie soap co said:
i have a couple of large sand dollars my father and i gathered shortly before he passed away. it would be so incredibly special to me if i could make them into soaps.

i'm sure just about everyone has a special little keepsake around the house.

monet
That would be soooo special! Please keep us updated on how it works out if you decide to try it.

Digit

the real sand dollars I have are porous and have (naturally occurring) holes in them. not sure, but this might complicate things.

Now that sparks some serious creativity! I've played around with making molds before, mostly from this website: http://www.hirstarts.com/ (Miniature Castle Building and Diorama's) he has a whole section about making molds out of simple clay creations to complex furniture pieces, (all miniature of course) but the same principles can be applied I think. As for the sand dollars....It looks like with this silicone setup I think tiny porous holes will only affect texture and not ruin the pieces....being too thick to seep in. Just be sure to coat the sand dollars with something that can help pull it out of the mold after it sets up....don't want to end up breaking them! My two cents lol :D

mold

Oh my gosh, I'd love it if this really worked...

Keep us posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

hmmm....

I use this in my work every day and actually never considered using it to make molds for soap. Mine sets up in about 3-4 minutes though. I would have to work fast. I am going to try it and let you know how it works out :)

~ear

Back