Making your booth stand out in 2014

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcatblum

Reaction score
We have done a few seasons of farmers market, mostly produce & a dozen or so shows with soaps. I am always reflecting on how to improve & racking my brain for new ideas. Lets share how we try to stand out & how we can improve on 2014.

I practice setting up my booth at home, take pictures & critique it a few days later. Much easier for me to see what I need to change when I have a "cold" look.

I think it is important that the "bones" of the booth are the start to displaying your product nicely.

One of my secrets that other vendors always comment on is using 18"wide 6 ft table. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but gives customers much more room in your both.

A must have is Tablecloths that are free of wrinkles & a color that allows your product to be the star.

Have product staggered in height. If using baskets & like containers tilt them some the product can be viewed easily. I prop my baskets with large 3 ring binders, or large pieces of Styrofoam like you would find in packaging an appliance. I cover my prop pieces in a large piece of fabric that I have quickly surged the edges.

I buy lots of containers from thrift stores & such. I give EVERY wooden container a coat of American General Java Gel stain so that all of my containers match. I have yet to find a product this stain doesn't cover, it is seriously my best friend!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DSY50Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I think anything you can do to help the customers understand the product is important, along with good signage. When I did farmers market I lined my hot pepper baskets with fabric that had flames on it, everyone always knew what peppers where hot. I haven't came up with any memorable soap signs yet, but I keep trying. With my peppers I also had a pepper called lipstick. Made a sign for it "I look hot, but I promise I am not!" I would get a dz plus comments a day on the sign. The sign was even featured on the local news when they did a farmers market feature.

The closer you can get your product to the customers the better, I do an outside L when on a corner booth. But always have to be flexible since you never know where your booth will be placed. Twice this yr I had a column in the center of my booth!!!! These were school type fairs & it REALLY messed up what I had planned in my mind.

I really want to use a beer box as the base for a soap riser for beer soaps, just haven't found that sturdy beer box that coordinates with my booth yet. I also want to get some good photos of my goats & try to use them as an image on my goat milk soap signs.

Please share what you do to make your booth looking good, or neat ideas you have seen!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have pictures you could share? I would love the see some of the descriptions you're talking about!

A friend of mine suggested using things to decorate to create a shopping environment. One suggestion was to put a chalkboard sign in a wash basin with a wash board next to it. I thought that was a cute idea. I really like the chalkboard look for a more natural and rustic look.

I'm definitely going to invest in a floor length table cloth! I don't like the table to look too crowded, but I haven't figured out an amazing solution yet. What is a "18"wide 6 ft table" and how does it give people more room? I need help with the visual!

I don't have much to add but I appreciate all this info!

At my first craft fair people were looking very silly leaning in to smell the samples without touching them, so I made little signs that read "Please touch! Free smells!" (Yes I stole "free smells" from Jimmy Johns!) A lot of people commented on them, repeating "free smells!" and then I could add "I also have free samples of my lip balm and..."

I don't have any pics on this PC, but standard tables are 30" wide-- the extra 12 inches are big when you get into small booth spaces. If all you product fits onto 1 table then table size isn't a big deal. However, put 3 standard size tables into an 8x8 or 10x10 booth you quickly appreciate the extra 12 inches gained!
Here is the 18"table I have -- they also make some tables that are taller than the standard table, but they are usually double cost of a regular table.
http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Furniture-RB-1872-GG-18-Inch-Training/dp/B0072RQRME/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1387888780&sr=8-3&keywords=18%22+table
& on my regular size tables I use these tablecloths. Love that they don't require much ironing & have a Velcro strip that goes down the side of the leg so you can easily access under your table.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008TLBABU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Wish they made a tablecloth to fit my skinner table, may bust out the sewing machine & alter one eventually. I am unable take decorative items to the show if they don't serve a purpose. It is hard to fit all my stuff into my van along with my girls. There were even times where my girls have had to hold soap the entire ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a pic of some thrift store finds I coated with Java Gel stain. The box that has soap inside is a box that you put on your desk to hold papers, it only received 1 coat of stain. Everything else probably had 2 coat. No pics before the stain, but items were mostly honey oak before the java stain. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1388085688.055370.jpg

Maya i have a Pinterest board for craft fair stuff too. Pinterest is a great place for inspiration.

I am hesitant to post these pics, since my prices are shown & I know it is a touchy topic at times. Please ignore my prices & pretend like you see a pretty banner hanging on the front of the table (it was misplaced in the van at the moment)
Wish I would have taken a pic of the back side of my tables, I had product displayed on both sides of my corner table. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1388188979.056098.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1388189054.077203.jpg
This pic has most of my display containers covered with fabric & my skinny table isn't in the pic. DD was using it since she set up selling pinback buttons & magnets.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1388188889.851160.jpg

Last edited:
Well I can't see the prices. I tried, honest!

Your deco is very nice. I like the black, it is very modern and upscale. Thank you for sharing!

Well I can't see the prices. I tried, honest!

Your deco is very nice. I like the black, it is very modern and upscale. Thank you for sharing!

iPhone pics in a dark barn must help cover the prices. The black is good when it is nice & clean. However, it shows marks easy from unwrapped soaps & such. Also shows dirt from the floors, so I keep wet wipes handy to wipe clean if possible. I started with grey table clothes & they always showed oil marks. Not sure if I will ever find the perfect color.

Anyone else have booth pics or ideas to share????

Tiny show but I sold out of product. I couldn't do my proper booth set up, so some things I am sure only we would notice really bothered me (legs showing for instance) And I couldn't get my second table from the person I loaned it too.

Last edited:
I use 4x8 folding tables that raise to different heights. I am able to put 7 tables in my 10x10 booth with a walk space on one side. I also use boards which I cover to add additional elevation to my tables. Four tables go across the front and two on one side with one table in the back for our use not display. I use 8 ft fitted table clothes across the front tables. This method of stacking tables gives a lot of real estate in a little 10x10 booth

Maya, how do you like putting products on a shelf for display? Do lots of people notice the shelf? Garden Ridge has a large selection of folding shelves most around $50-$60 & I have been on the fence about buying one. I worry how it will hold up being broken down so many times.
cmzaha I have had 4ft tables on my list for a while. DH insist I have enough tables, but what does he know!

Here is my pinterest board for Craft Fair Ideas
http://www.pinterest.com/jcatblum/craft-fair/

Hello! Mostly lurker here, but I always love seeing threads with pictures, so I figured I'd share mine.

I'm still deciding on an accent color. Most likely going to be lilac to match my logo, but I went with red for this show because (a) I had a red cloth and (b) it was close to Christmas.

28m32q.jpg

Maya, how do you like putting products on a shelf for display? Do lots of people notice the shelf? Garden Ridge has a large selection of folding shelves most around $50-$60 & I have been on the fence about buying one. I worry how it will hold up being broken down so many times.
cmzaha I have had 4ft tables on my list for a while. DH insist I have enough tables, but what does he know!

Here is my pinterest board for Craft Fair Ideas
http://www.pinterest.com/jcatblum/craft-fair/

So I had Goats skulls tied with ribbon to them, so kids noticed and loved the goats skulls and their parents shopped. The top shelf was great, I could reach over and grab a lotion bar when some one said "do you have lotion bars." But, I had to show them and they would say "OH! there is more!" it was like I had to walk them over to the shelf. I think it would work better if the shelf was on the table (and the table had leg risers to make it taller.) I think I have a the beginnings of a great set up for spring, and it will involve the table in a different spot.

Wiskandbowl weren't you thrilled to find the containers that look like they are holding lip balm, guessing you purchased them at Walmart?? Dollar Tree also has them but only 3 compartments. They work so well. DD even uses them to sort her pinback buttons. I do think I would prefer the lilac color on the table instead of the red.

Maya finding a way to arrange your product is half the battle! I agree you are off to a good start. I know you said your other table was out on loan. Not sure what size it is, what if you put your shelf in the center of your display? a card table on each side? When you are bored at home one day try it out & snap some pics.

So I had Goats skulls tied with ribbon to them, so kids noticed and loved the goats skulls and their parents shopped. The top shelf was great, I could reach over and grab a lotion bar when some one said "do you have lotion bars." But, I had to show them and they would say "OH! there is more!" it was like I had to walk them over to the shelf. I think it would work better if the shelf was on the table (and the table had leg risers to make it taller.) I think I have a the beginnings of a great set up for spring, and it will involve the table in a different spot.

Biggest problem I see with the shelf is the fact it is turned the wrong way. The shelf needs to be turned or at least angled to be seen from the front. Also it would be better if the shelf color matches your table coverings.

You might be better with a table across the end and a couple of boards for elevation. By using a table the products can be seen without anything distracting the eye. ie shelf cross boards. The 4ft Lifetime tables are something I can live without. I get them from Sam's Club for under $40 ea. At one of my weekly markets I can fudge space and at times I use 8 tables. Four across the front and 2 on each side with elevations for each table. LOL, I keep the owner of the markets wife supplied with soaps and products, so I get away with a lot!

Wiskandbowl weren't you thrilled to find the containers that look like they are holding lip balm, guessing you purchased them at Walmart?? Dollar Tree also has them but only 3 compartments. They work so well. DD even uses them to sort her pinback buttons. I do think I would prefer the lilac color on the table instead of the red.

Maya finding a way to arrange your product is half the battle! I agree you are off to a good start. I know you said your other table was out on loan. Not sure what size it is, what if you put your shelf in the center of your display? a card table on each side? When you are bored at home one day try it out & snap some pics.

I was! I need to get a couple more, but I cannot find them anymore (hate Walmart!!! :evil: Last time I looked, they only had colored ones. I will have to check my local Dollar Tree next!

I agree on the red, IMO it's a bit "in your face" but it worked for that show. Tables and cloths were provided, so my table was one of 2-3 others that weren't stark white. Probably won't use red again.

I was! I need to get a couple more, but I cannot find them anymore (hate Walmart!!! :evil: Last time I looked, they only had colored ones. I will have to check my local Dollar Tree next!

I agree on the red, IMO it's a bit "in your face" but it worked for that show. Tables and cloths were provided, so my table was one of 2-3 others that weren't stark white. Probably won't use red again.

The red is eye-catching and probably sets you apart from other vendors. That's what you want. We're artisans. Avant-garde is what customers expect. I use a black table skirt and whatever strikes my fancy for an overlay. This winter I'm going to make two 7ft cloths. Hopefully will be able to find something kitschy. We have only one fabric store 70mins away so may have to order online. Ahhh, the joys of living in the Northern Ontario bush. :-D

Here is a pic of my table from my first show this Dec. I just had a hallway space (actually at the dead end of a hallway next to the restrooms) not a square area. Sorry for the addition of my Mom in here, but it was the only pic I had with my easel and sign included. I bought the tablecloths (one black and one burlap with the burlap one on top) from a recommendation I saw on here, bought a crate from JoAnn and spray painted it black and then all of the silver baskets are from my sister's pantry ;). I did one other show before Christmas with the same setup. I am trying to get into a Valentines Day show, hopefully that will happen and maybe I will have some time to change it up! :)

1389325826836.jpg

Last edited:
Back