making washing soda from baking soda/homemade laundry detergent, Wild fires in the US

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyne Thrasher

Reaction score
First, I'm not personally in any danger. But I live in the Willamette Valley of Oregon in the US 25 miles from a nasty wild fire. Our air quality has been rated hazardous for 4 (I think) days now. We are trying to avoid going outside. I usually use 1 part washing soda and 1 part borax to wash my laundry in my front loading washing machine. I'm completely out of washing soda and am going to try to make my own washing soda with baking soda (I have a huge bag sitting in my soap studio for bath salts). It looks fairly straightforward (spread on cookie sheet and place in 400 F degree oven for 30 minutes. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if their results were decent. I'm trying to get some things done and stay off amazon and Ali express because I don't want to stress shop. I just ordered some air purifiers which won't be here until Tuesday but there goes my budget. My kids are going to be distance learning for an undetermined amount of time because Americans can't seem to get it together. Australian friends please pray for us. You all know what this is like. The entire west coast is on fire. The carbon levels are going to be off the charts and it will take decades to get our forests back to being the carbon scrubbers we need them to be.

I haven't tried that but know someone who did with good success. As you noted, it's pretty simple.

We are hundreds of miles away from you, but getting the smoke here. I can't imagine what it's like to be so close. Sending prayers for safety and for RAIN.

I haven't tried that but know someone who did with good success. As you noted, it's pretty simple.

We are hundreds of miles away from you, but getting the smoke here. I can't imagine what it's like to be so close. Sending prayers for safety and for RAIN.
Thanks!

It works fine. I heated the baking soda until the weight stabilized rather than just heating for X minutes. The appearance changes from a clumpy white powder to a more free-flowing white powder. That's another clue if you don't want to weigh.

Understand the weight is going to drop a fair bit, so start with more baking soda to compensate. I seem to remember the finished weight of washing soda was 2/3 or thereabouts of the starting baking soda weight.

Back