Making the lye solution question.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDak

Reaction score
DeAnna uses 2 parts glycerin added to the KOH mixed solution that was dissolved in an equal amount of water first.

Has anyone ever tried, from the start, just adding the 2 parts glycerin to the 1 part water first........then adding the KOH to that combined mixture?

ETA: Oh, and using DeAnna's ratios would mean you start with a 75 percent distilled water rate for dilution rather than Irish Lass's 62 percent distilled dilution rate............is that correct?

Thanks for any info.

To set the record straight, I make liquid soap with no added glycerin, a 1:2 ratio of glycerin:water, or a 2:1 ratio of glycerin:water. Or even 1:1 glycerin:water. There's no real magic to any of these options. Which one I use depends on how I feel when I make the soap.

I haven't tried the idea of mixing the glycerin and water together and then adding the KOH. I know mixing the KOH with plain water and then adding glycerin is a method that is easy and reliable. I'm not sure I can see any particular savings of time and effort to mix the liquids first and then add KOH, but maybe I'm not thinking about this in the same way you are. There's no harm in experimenting -- it's not going to blow up or anything ;) -- so give it a try.

IMO, the dilution ratios won't necessarily change with the amount of glycerin used, because the total liquid used to make the soap doesn't change. And IMO, glycerin functions pretty much the same as water as a diluent.

Bear in mind, however, that I never assume the "official" dilution ratio in a tutorial is going to be the right dilution ratio for the batch I'm making. In my experience, the amount of dilution can vary from batch to batch.

If it were me, I would not add the water and glycerin together before adding the KOH. KOH is difficult to dissolve in glycerin. The only way to get it to dissolve in glycerin is to boil the glycerin. That's why I mix my KOH in water first, then add the glycerin.....it's quick and smooth sailing when done that way.... although if you want, you could try it to see what happens for experiment sake and let us know. :)

IrishLass :)

To set the record straight, I make liquid soap with no added glycerin, a 1:2 ratio of glycerin:water, or a 2:1 ratio of glycerin:water. Or even 1:1 glycerin:water. There's no real magic to any of these options. Which one I use depends on how I feel when I make the soap.

I haven't tried the idea of mixing the glycerin and water together and then adding the KOH. I know mixing the KOH with plain water and then adding glycerin is a method that is easy and reliable. I'm not sure I can see any particular savings of time and effort to mix the liquids first and then add KOH, but maybe I'm not thinking about this in the same way you are. There's no harm in experimenting -- it's not going to blow up or anything ;) -- so give it a try.

IMO, the dilution ratios won't necessarily change with the amount of glycerin used, because the total liquid used to make the soap doesn't change. And IMO, glycerin functions pretty much the same as water as a diluent.

Bear in mind, however, that I never assume the "official" dilution ratio in a tutorial is going to be the right dilution ratio for the batch I'm making. In my experience, the amount of dilution can vary from batch to batch.
Thank you........I just did it like you said and added the glycerin to the water after the KOH had dissolved then put that combined mixture into the oils. For some reason I thought they had to be kept separate but I misread that part of the instructions when using both water and glycerin as the water component.

Mixing the water with the KOH already dissolved remained dissolved when I added the glycerin to bring the recipe up to the required amount of water component. There was no separation and the KOH remained dissolved........that is what I was worried might happen but I had misinterpreted the instructions most likely and that was never a concern by anyone.

Thanks for the info on the dilution ratios also.

If it were me, I would not add the water and glycerin together before adding the KOH. KOH is difficult to dissolve in glycerin. The only way to get it to dissolve in glycerin is to boil the glycerin. That's why I mix my KOH in water first, then add the glycerin.....it's quick and smooth sailing when done that way.... although if you want, you could try it to see what happens for experiment sake and let us know. :)

Thank you........I ended up doing it your way.

ETA: Oh, Irish Lass, your way is to use enough water to dissolve the KOH but you then add the full amount of glycerin that would have been used without the water part of your method.........right?

If so, that is why I assumed you cut down the dilution water to 62 percent of the batch weight......is that right?

Last edited:
Thank you........I ended up doing it your way.

ETA: Oh, Irish Lass, your way is to use enough water to dissolve the KOH but you then add the full amount of glycerin that would have been used without the water part of your method.........right?

Correct! :thumbs:

If so, that is why I assumed you cut down the dilution water to 62 percent of the batch weight......is that right?

Correct again! :thumbs:

Oh, I see I misunderstood what you meant about the glycerin affecting the dilution ratio. I get it now!

Back