Making the big purchases....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallerygirl

Reaction score
I have slated some of our income tax return to purchase a big order of soaping ingredients and several tog moulds (paul, I just pmed you at etsy for guidance). I am so dang excited. I was on a pretty good roll the last couple of months of 2007, then lost my best friend to cancer the beginning of Jan. and then came down with a flu and everything just stopped. Now, I am up and running again. I think I have a pretty good handle on simple soaping and I am ready to throw myself into this to see where this is going for me. I am certainly hoping that the initial layout of funds will pay for itself and then some so I can re-invest. Just had to share....not too many people get how exciting this whole process is for me, so I know you all will. :wink: Thanks for reading!!! k

That is awesome for you! Get lots of good stuff and have a blast.

Thanks CP. I have spent the last couple of weeks creating and re-creating lists of what I need, want, really need and really want. lol :lol:
I want to buy enough to atleast have some home soap parties and to sell to friends. I gave tons of soap away at Christmas and asked everyone for honest feed back. Everyone has been awesome in doing just that. So I have a good place to start. I just want to do just that - START!!! k

I sure hope 2008 brings you much more happiness and better times! Soaping can sure help pull one out of a sad time, it doest that for me. When I get happy customers, it really adds to the satisfaction and negates the down days!

I'll take a look at your message and sit down and work with you for the best solution. Take care. :wink:

Paul

Supplies

Yep, I just spent my tax return on soap supplies (ordered a bunch of stuff yesterday) — it wasn't a huge amt, cuz I'm single, with no kids. But it was GREAT to be able to buy a couple of extra TOG molds, sixteen (16) fragrance oils (The Scent Works and Southern Soapers), a supply of oils (Oils by Nature), and some natural colorant and kraft boxes (Emporium Naturals).

I came home to an email box full of shipment notifications for my goodies. I LOVE getting boxes from UPS/FEDEX/USPS. All the drivers know me :oops:

So, blessings for you this year, as you continue to learn and grow, as a soapmaker.

I know what you mean about the delivery drivers. This week alone I think I've received 12 packages, which is a pretty typical week around here. Hardest part is cramming everything into this tiny apartment...lol.

See, I knew you would all appreciate my excitement!!!! :) The waiting may just kill me tho :roll: k

Listen!

gallerygirl said:
See, I knew you would all appreciate my excitement!!!! :) The waiting may just kill me tho :roll: k

Girl, listen: I work just about all weekends, so I'm off two days, during the week — UPS/FEDEX deliveries come on weekdays.

I'm like a "crackhead waitin' for a visit from the dope man". I pace the floor, lookin' out the window, wondering deep down if the UPS man understands that I'm waitin' for my stuff. Does he know? Does he care? Why is it takin' all day?

I can actually HEAR when the truck comes rollin' down the street! I run to the window, and when I see that familiar brown truck, I smile with glee! YIPPEE! I run to the door, to keep him from having to ring the doorbell. I open the door, grab my box, run inside, open it with my bare hands — who needs a knife/cutter, when the sheer excitement of having new soap goodies provides the strength of Samson?

I then sit in the middle of the floor, pull out all my goodies, and a warm feeling radiates from my inner being, and spreads to all who are nearby. I am happy. The world is nice. All is well.

Yes, I'm a soap junkie.

Yes!! YES!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sit in the middle of the floor and test sniff everything atleast a dozen times. All my senses going at once. lol, I am like a little kid at Christmas. My husband says I get a glazed, numb, goofy look about me and it scares the kids. shrug. Life is good.

ROFLMAO Nea!! I'm much the same - we have a post office box, & DH checks it daily. When I'm expecting a parcel he gets a bit annoyed, coz my first words whenever I see him thru the day are 'Is it here yet?? Where it it" instead of the kiss & hug he would normally get.

That's so funny, I do that too! And one time, I had this one FO that I just loved, and I was walking around the house holding it under my nose, and my son says "you DO realize you have a problem, right?" I thought that was hysterical!

Hope you all get fat (not actual fat!) shipments this week! :lol:

You girls are hilarious, but this guy doest the same thing when I get new FO's in or a new oil. NEA, you are cracking me up! I'll get your molds out this week! I wish I had a video camera in the box when you open it up! Love to see your face!8) :wink:

Paul

To me, there is no better feeling in the world than knowing you have an order of some great supplies on the way, then getting the order, getting to thoroughly check everything out and then getting to play. It just makes for a wonderful day. I wish everyday was like that for us all.

CPSoaper I agree, Sometimes I think the anticipation of the order is funner(dont think thats a word) than making the soap. Ive got some witch hazel powder and Jewelweed powder coming cant wait to get it.

Neil said:
CPSoaper I agree, Sometimes I think the anticipation of the order is funner(dont think thats a word) than making the soap. Ive got some witch hazel powder and Jewelweed powder coming cant wait to get it.

I was meaning the whole process. I too love the anticipation but I love all that follows as well. The anticipation just kicks off the fun for me. I love to track a package too. I get so disappointed if a package is delayed for some reason. Even I think that someday the excitement of this whole process has to wear off, but so far it has not. lolol

Yeah, watcha doing with the Jewelweed? I have some notes somewhere on Jewelweed but I don't remember what I read or wrote. What about the witch hazel powder? I use witch hazel to spritz my bathbombs.

The witch hazel and Jewelweed go in a poison ivy soap, Thats actually why I started making soap.. My soap making adventures have expanded into a kind of artful creation, A long way from making a treatment for poison ivy.

gallerygirl said:
I have slated some of our income tax return to purchase a big order of soaping ingredients and several tog moulds (paul, I just pmed you at etsy for guidance). I am so dang excited. I was on a pretty good roll the last couple of months of 2007, then lost my best friend to cancer the beginning of Jan. and then came down with a flu and everything just stopped. Now, I am up and running again. I think I have a pretty good handle on simple soaping and I am ready to throw myself into this to see where this is going for me. I am certainly hoping that the initial layout of funds will pay for itself and then some so I can re-invest. Just had to share....not too many people get how exciting this whole process is for me, so I know you all will. :wink: Thanks for reading!!! k

galleygirl, I'm so sorry for the loss of your best friend. Wishing you God's speed.

I just wanted to tell you that I know EXACTLY how you feel in the excitement of it all. I just can't get started fast enough. I'm still collecting for the startup and have also designated funds from my tax return for getting the remaining of what I need...eo's, fo's, oils, lye, double boiler, crock, etc. I intend to shop very wisely in looking for the best deals to maximize what I do gather. I just cannot wait until I can set everything out and go at it. Here's hoping your first batch is a total knock out!

Cool! I know some M&Pers use witch hazel in alcohol base to help "stick" layers together. Hey, I went to Puritan's Pride and got a great deal on aloe vera gell! I bought 500 capsules of Vitamin E too. I'm going to crush the gellcaps and get the liquid out. I wonder if putting it in a blender would work, hitting a few pulses. Any good ideas of getting the oil out without simply pricking the end? Can you boil the gelcaps and the oil will come to the top? Hummmmmm....:?

Paul

Re: Listen!

NEASoapWorks said:
gallerygirl said:

Girl, listen: I work just about all weekends, so I'm off two days, during the week — UPS/FEDEX deliveries come on weekdays.

I'm like a "crackhead waitin' for a visit from the dope man". I pace the floor, lookin' out the window, wondering deep down if the UPS man understands that I'm waitin' for my stuff. Does he know? Does he care? Why is it takin' all day?

I can actually HEAR when the truck comes rollin' down the street! I run to the window, and when I see that familiar brown truck, I smile with glee! YIPPEE! I run to the door, to keep him from having to ring the doorbell. I open the door, grab my box, run inside, open it with my bare hands — who needs a knife/cutter, when the sheer excitement of having new soap goodies provides the strength of Samson?

I then sit in the middle of the floor, pull out all my goodies, and a warm feeling radiates from my inner being, and spreads to all who are nearby. I am happy. The world is nice. All is well.

Yes, I'm a soap junkie.

Ohhhh nea, you got it bad, honey. But I know I'm in trouble, now. My heart started racing as I read your post waiting with you for YOUR UPS truck and then anticipated getting into the goodies in YOUR box. OH MY, OH MY. I haven't even got started yet. I'm REALLY in trouble.

Back