Making sugar scrubs from soap shreds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@AliOop —it worked!!
Granted, I did have to heat it, add lots of water and oils, but I do think it is because of the soy wax.
But it is delightful. Soft & creamy (I really have to work on my piping skills) and hasn’t dried out my skin even a little bit. As an added bonus, this batch was scented with Pearberry, so it has a fun, fruity scent profile. Thank you oh so much for all of your advice!

Attachments

• F1FA0B28-C826-4111-858B-04E4B7E2CC35.jpeg
    F1FA0B28-C826-4111-858B-04E4B7E2CC35.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
@AliOop —it worked!!
Granted, I did have to heat it, add lots of water and oils, but I do think it is because of the soy wax.
But it is delightful. Soft & creamy (I really have to work on my piping skills) and hasn’t dried out my skin even a little bit. As an added bonus, this batch was scented with Pearberry, so it has a fun, fruity scent profile. Thank you oh so much for all of your advice!
It’s much grayer in my photo, but it is a lovely, light blue 😍

I’m giving up on the piping. It’s killing my hands 🤣

Attachments

• A710C317-233D-4209-A9F2-D4C624FA46EF.jpeg
    A710C317-233D-4209-A9F2-D4C624FA46EF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
@Nicolesica I am so happy it turned out for you, and it looks fantastic! 😍 I agree that piping is hard on the hands, but I tell you what, scooping and packing wasn't much better. I'm going for small batches from now on. 😁

@AliOop Do you think I can turn whipped soap into foot scrub by adding pumice, or finely ground walnut shells and/or salt? and leave the sugar out altogether? I have all of the ingredients and finally feel up to giving it a try. At this point I don’t really need whipped soap, but a nice blue minty foot soap/scrub would be fun. The blue sugar scrub @Nicolesica posted above looks just like the foot scrub I have from The Body Shop. It’s made with SLS and other stuff I don’t recognize.

I’ve also been wondering if products like these can safely go into plastic containers. At what point does the FO or EO content become an issue with plastic? If I make whipped soap I’m going to need to be creative about containers because I don’t have anything on hand except tin and glass, which wouldn’t be the best choices for the shower.

Last edited:
Oh yes, this would be great with pumice, salt, or any other scrubby additive you have on hand. A minty foot scrub sounds wonderful!

I haven't had any issues with the FOs or EOs attacking my jars, which have sometimes been PET, and some polypropylene. I don't think there is enough FO in them to create any problems - probably 3% is the max I've used.

Would love to see what you create if you have time to snap pics, and even if you don't get to post them till after the New Year. ;)

EDIT: for jars, do you have a Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or Walmart nearby? Even Dollar Store/Dollar Tree might have containers, whether empty or repurpose-able.

Last edited:
@AliOop Do you think I can turn whipped soap into foot scrub by adding pumice, or finely ground walnut shells and/or salt? and leave the sugar out altogether? I have all of the ingredients and finally feel up to giving it a try. At this point I don’t really need whipped soap, but a nice blue minty foot soap/scrub would be fun. The blue sugar scrub @Nicolesica posted above looks just like the foot scrub I have from The Body Shop. It’s made with SLS and other stuff I don’t recognize.

I’ve also been wondering if products like these can safely go into plastic containers. At what point does the FO or EO content become an issue with plastic? If I make whipped soap I’m going to need to be creative about containers because I don’t have anything on hand except tin and glass, which wouldn’t be the best choices for the shower.
What a good idea! Now I wish I had thought of that and added pumice instead of sugar!

@AliOop Thank you, I’m on it! I think I’ll make a test batch with 200 g of shreds. Now all I need to do is re-read the thread!
Or here is a quick refresher:

Water at 100% of shred weight
Glycerin at 75% of shred weight
Stearic acid at 20% of total batch weight
Your favorite liquid oil of choice at 10% of batch weight
Your colorant of choice (or none if you like the color).

Melt everything together. It will be soupy.

Cool completely. It will be like Play-Do, maybe a little more or less firm than that depending on your shreds.

Start whipping. Add FO and preservative.

After it has fluffed up, add your desired amount of scrubby ingredients. Mix just enough to incorporate well.

Be careful not to overmix, or it will get runny again from heat (easy to do with small batches).

That's not a big deal really, unless you are really keen on a specific fluffiness quotient.

I used Liquid Germall Plus at .5% of batch weight before sugar, but honestly was not sure how effective it would be since my product pH was at the very upper end of its efficacy. I was a little hesitant to use Optiphen since it supposedly works best in oil-based recipes. But I am no preservative expert by any means, and would welcome input from others on this.

ETA: I know some folks will say that with the high pH from the soap shreds, plus all that sugar, no preservative is necessary, especially if you aren't selling. But there is also all the added water, and repeated contamination if it is used in the shower. I'm fine with no preservative in a small batch for my own use, but didn't feel right about that for giving it to someone else. I pass no judgment on someone who makes a different decision based on their understanding of the chemistry.

Last edited:

I need something fun to do today. I have all the ingredients. You just gave me inspiration for my next project. Thank you!

Okay everyone - I suggest holding off on using salt for now or proceed at own risk as I did 😂. I added salt, pumice and walnut shells to half of my test batch, plus some water because the mixture was a bit stiff, plus I expected the pumice and the walnut shells to absorb water. When I used the whipped mix on my hands under running water, it left a waxy coating on my hands. I’m going to add sugar to the other half and then see what I can do to fix the waxy batch.

ETA:

The behavior of the second batch is fine and close to what I would expect. I added 100% of the total batch weight in sugar. I tested before and after the sugar addition. It’s not making bubbles, but I wasn’t expecting any after watching a couple of the Soap & Clay YT videos, plus, I have hard water. The immediate hand feel after washing was not what I expected. It was a bit squeaky clean, leaning a little draggy. It’s better after adding a bit of jojoba and HOSO. I may add more after I let it chill for a bit.

As far as the first batch goes, I think I basically salted out the soap. It feels remarkably like something I once made during a totally crazy afternoon of experimentation. I may toss or may try to salvage.

Despite all of the twists and turns so far, I will keep working at it. Both of my blends look and smell wonderful. The first batch for the foot scrub is pastel blue and scented with peppermint and eucalyptus EOs. The second batch is pastel orange and scented with citrus EOs and a hint of basil. I‘m thinking it will be nice by the kitchen sink.

Last edited:
The blue whipped soap foot scrub may be saved! I won’t be giving any of this batch away, so I’m well stocked for personal use and there’s no longer a need to ration what I have from The Body Shop. I added more oil and also threw in some sugar to bring the additives up to 100% of the original total batch weight. Plus, I was able to get a test portion into a tube using a syringe. The tubes are the only non-glass, non-metal containers I have sitting around and they’ll be great in the shower. I found them last night and after a little web research discovered at least two companies that sell soap paste in tubes, including one that is being promoted on QVC. Can I make a million dollars selling foot scrub made from soap scraps? 😂

2AF9D743-9E8C-4A6B-A486-D05E6B8DF267.jpeg

Last edited:
The blue whipped soap foot scrub may be saved! I won’t be giving any of this batch away, so I’m well stocked for personal use and there’s no longer a need to ration what I have from The Body Shop. I added more oil and also threw in some sugar to bring the additives up to 100% of the original total batch weight. Plus, I was able to get a test portion into a tube using a syringe. The tubes are the only non-glass, non-metal containers I have sitting around and they’ll be great in the shower. I found them last night and after a little web research discovered at least two companies that sell soap paste in tubes, including one that is being promoted on QVC. Can I make a million dollars selling foot scrub made from soap scraps? 😂

View attachment 70155
This tube is a game changer. I was just wondering how to not keep putting my hands in the container. And the minty foot scrub idea ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Back