Making Soap with silcone columns

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharee

Reaction score
I have not found a tutorial anywhere to make a silcone soap mold. I bought a heart mold but i have no clue as to how much soap to put in. As in measurement. I dont need fragrance.
Its a heart coloumn mold and all i know is a pour melt and pour soap mold into it.

Again there are no tutorials for a beginner like me so boo.

I have a heart column silcone mold.
I dont want to fill it with water. I want to fill it with melt and pour soap. So I can harden it.But I dont know how much soap it would take to fill it up. I dont want to waste soap. I have no clue how to measure how much soap in ounces it would take to fill the mold up. This may sound like a simple question. Its not for newbies.

Dave from sentinel candles shows the exact size of the heart mold I bought. It shows it in the beginning of his video.

Fill it with water, pour the water in a separate container (don't forget to tare) and see how much the water came too. It won't be exact but you'll have an approximate. Excess soap you can always pour into a smaller individual mold, no waste.

So i put the water on the scale and how much water weighs is how much soap should weigh...,

But thats what my intention is. To fill it with mp to make hearts!
But i just dont know how much! I dont want to melt to much it will overflow to little im screwed.
How does one measure these type of things to know how much mp to use. Bu alwAys filling with water?

Edit to add. Is this a brambleberry mold? If so, its take 4.5 oz

I think you are stressing too much. Melt down what you think will be enough, leave it uncolored and unscented.
Fill the mold, if you melted too much, so what? Its plain so you can remelt it again, none wasted.
If you need more, melt more. Once the mold if full and set up, you weight it. Again, since its plain soap, it can be remelted.

If the mold was a square or rectangular, it would be easier to figure out the capacity but often when using melt and pour, its a bit of trial and error to figure out the capacity.

Don't forget to write the capacity on your mold once you do figure it out.

Last edited:
But thats what my intention is. To fill it with mp to make hearts!
But i just dont know how much! I dont want to melt to much it will overflow to little im screwed.
How does one measure these type of things to know how much mp to use. Bu alwAys filling with water?
Your not listening, READ, and do WHAT EVERYONE HAS TOLD YOU - fill it with water, tip the water out and weigh the water, that will give you how much melt and pour to weigh up and melt.

Where did you buy the mold from? If you got it from Amazon the amount of soap it holds should be listed in the description. Obsidian mentioned that BB molds hold 4.5 oz.

I am listening?
Thank you i do get it. Yes I know you can make more M p and then you can just use it later if you use too much. Buut...I don’t want to do that because every time you reheat it from what i read, it will be more more prone to sweating.
I did get it on amazon. I got other moulds on Bramble Berry. I did not see that it stated how much Soap it needed to fill but that would be very useful. Thank you for your help you guys I really do appreciate it. Once the tables are turned and I know what I’m doing I will definitely be helping the ones that were once like me.

I have not found a tutorial anywhere to make a silcone soap mold.

Google "How to make silicone molds" and you will come up with over 16 millions results. You can also go to YouTube and enter the same and get tons of results.

Yes I know you can make more M p and then you can just use it later if you use too much. Buut...I don’t want to do that because every time you reheat it from what i read, it will be more more prone to sweating.

Providing your purchase a good quality M&P to start with and you don't overheat it, you can reheat M&P a good three or four times. And I know several soaps who save their 'old' M&P and reuse it to clean out molds with so it's not going to waste.

I did get it on amazon. I got other moulds on Bramble Berry. I did not see that it stated how much Soap it needed to fill but that would be very useful. Thank you for your help you guys I really do appreciate it. Once the tables are turned and I know what I’m doing I will definitely be helping the ones that were once like me.

Every Brambleberry molds provides dimension and capacity information, you just have to scroll down below the description. When it comes to purchasing molds on Amazon, you sometimes have to look at similar molds to find all the information. As an example, I looked at three different 'silicone heart column molds' before I found one that said it holds 140 grams of soap.

Worst case...as others have suggested, you fill the mold with water, then empty the water into a container that you have tared (zero'd out) and it will give you an approximation of how much soap by weight you will need.

Another way is by volume. As an example, I picked up a recipe for Lotion Bars, but I wanted to use a different mold and make multiple scents out of the same batch. First thing I did was to pour water into the mold I wanted to use and then measure it by volume...1.5 cups I then made up the recipe and after taring my measuring cup, poured 1.5 cups and weighed it. At the time, I had enough 'batter' to fill just over 5 molds. I then calculated the difference between filling 5 molds and wanting to fill 6 and increased my recipe by that percentage. And the next time I made soap (cold process), I weighed out 1 cup (8 oz by volume) of soap so I can use it for future molds.

Latest posts

Back