Making soap with jug of Unico "vegetable oil" (soybean and/or canola)?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyla

Reaction score
I wanted to know if the soap that I would make with a jug of "vegetable oil" would come out ok. The jug just says it's made from "soybean and/or canola oil." I made soap before and mixed exact quantities of different types of oils to be able to control for hardness, lather, etc.

I'm not picky and this jug is currently on sale at a store, so I wanted to pick up a few.

Does anyone know how it would come out in the end or if I would have to mix it with other oils?

This is the link to the product: https://www.loblaws.ca/Food/Pantry/...ne/Vegetable-Oils/Vegetable-Oil/p/20098102_EA

As above, if you used it you would need other oils and to keep that mix at a low amount.

You can work out the mix of two oilsif they have a different ratio of saturated to non saturated fats. Look at the ratio on the label and do some trial and error maths to work out at mix of the two would give you that amount.

Example - one oil has 67 saturated fat, the other has 40. The label says 63 saturated fat, so you know straight away that there is more of the first oil than the second

I used to use a blend of evoo and canola to make soap. I contacted the company and they told me the exact percentages of each oil in the batch. But like shunt said the unico oil could cause rancidity. If you really want to use it after finding out the % of each oil, mix it with other more stable oils and add ROE to your soap as well as the unused portion of oil in the bottle.

I agree with Dixiedragon. I am for one who has never had a dos issue with regular Canola, although I use Canola HO now just because I can get large amounts locally. But go figure, I do have dos issues with Lard, so I add BHT and Tetrasodium EDTA to all batches. This bht edta combo works much better for me than roe.

Back