Making soap indoors

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrishaglerr

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So my significant other has bad asthma and the fragrance oils really flair it up. We have a second bedroom in our new place that I dedicated to soap making, hoping the scent would stay contained but it still lingered through the apartment.

The room has 1 central AC vent, a ceiling fan and 1 window. I opened the window, turned the ceiling fan on and shoved towels under the door and it still found it’s way into every room in the place.

What’s the best way to “Scent Proof” this room?

Anyone have experience or know what to do?

Thank you!

Sadly you may not be able to. I have just recently been diagnosed with asthma and an autoimmune disorder that has attacked my lungs. I was told to get all my soap stuff out of the house.

However, if she's not a severe asthmatic maybe an air purifier in the soap room as well as one in the living space might help. I have one in my bedroom and in the living room. And it has help with residual scents.

Sadly you may not be able to. I have just recently been diagnosed with asthma and an autoimmune disorder that has attacked my lungs. I was told to get all my soap stuff out of the house.

However, if she's not a severe asthmatic maybe an air purifier in the soap room as well as one in the living space might help. I have one in my bedroom and in the living room. And it has help with residual scents.

Thats what I was afraid of. It’s my full time business so it might be time to look for a warehouse to grow.

Sorry to hear about the asthma and having to get rid of the soap making stuff... We don’t realize how harmful it can be to people with asthma until you see or experience it first hand.

Stay safe

The room has 1 central AC vent, a ceiling fan and 1 window. I opened the window, turned the ceiling fan on and shoved towels under the door and it still found it’s way into every room in the place.

First of all, all a ceiling fan does is move the air around the room; depending on the direction the blades are turning, it either pulls air up from the floor to the ceiling where it bounces off and down or it pushes it from the ceiling to the floor. What you need to do is stick a box fan in the window and suck the air OUT of the room. Second, you want to completely close off the A/C vent...I suggest covering with plastic and tape. Same with any heating vent. These are CENTRAL vents...connected to every other room in the home. Third, replace the interior door with an exterior door and bottom plate.

My husband is very sensitive to "smells" and it's hit or miss on what triggers it. I soap in the kitchen and with my current set up, ninety percent of the time it works. I have a rolling kitchen island that is directly across from the window. I have a fan on my cart that blows directly to the open window and I have a fan in the living room that sucks in air from the outside towards the kitchen; there is a second fan between the living room and the kitchen. This creates a one-way directional airflow that, while not 100% fool proof, has made it easier for my husband when I make soap. It also helps that I don't mess around with layers or fancy swirls when he is home. I saponify and cure my soaps in the garage...it is neither fully insulated or airtight so it gets plenty of airflow. And the door to the garage is a heck of a lot more airtight that our front door.

If you go the route of covering the vent covers, there are magnetic vent covers available that work pretty well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-Magnetic-Vent-Covers-MC815/100345609
I ordered mine from either Walmart or Amazon, whichever was cheaper at the time. You can always use tape, but the magnetic ones don't leave a sticky residue.

Just ordered some! Going to try that along with blocking under the door and placing a box fan in the window. Let’s see how this works!

If I were you, I'd look into some kind of external workshop or shed for soaping.

That’s the next step. I’m in South Florida though and can’t find anything for less than $1,500/mo for a small warehouse space. And that’s in a bad area. Not enough room at the new place for a shed. May have to bite the bullet and get a warehouse.

You just cannot afford to push it with asthma. My daughter is a severe asthmatic and has been since she was five years old. She could come to my house when I made soap and can not come in the room where I have my fragrances stored or my soap curing. She can use fragranced soaps but only some fragrances. Sadly for many people like my daughter asthma only gets worse, not better. For me, I was lucky that my few years of asthma went away to not return. Making soap is not worth a person's health.

Latest posts

Back