making shampoo Bar soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherbearthere

Reaction score
:?: :?: :?: I have heard so much about Shampoo bar soap....
I'd love to try it......
I always start with my own pwsonal use long before i make it for sale.... so would you lovely folks explain what the biggest difference between the two soaps are.... and how do you prevent redidual build up on your hair when you use it? so excited to make and try this! Thanks in advance for all your help!
The Cher Bear :D :

I used CP soap on my hair and swore that I loved it. I used a vinegar rinse which made my hair nice and soft afterwards and I never noticed a build up. My husband, however, noticed that the drain was clogging up more frequently which made me realise that my hair was falling out. I think it's the fact that hair doesn't like such an alkaline environment. I always got quite a lot of hair on my hands after washing. I've now switched to using baby shampoo (no SLS, minimum no. of ingredients) and my hair has stopped falling out in handfuls.

Some soapmakers formulate CP soap to be used as shampoo. They use extra castor oil, jojoba, and other specialty oils to increase lather. However, the reality is that CP shampoo's pH generally falls somewhere between 9-11 and that is too harsh for the hair cuticle. It will roughen it and can be damaging. You can counteract this by following up with an acidic rinse as has been mentioned earlier. Personally, it's not worth it to me. CP shampoo bars made my hair feel like matted dirty straw and following up with cold vinegar or lemon juice wasn't appealing.

However, lovely solid shampoos can be made using surfactants as described in Swift's blog mentioned above. I've been making and using this kind of shampoo bar for about a year and a half and my hair has never looked better. They are also great for traveling.

Should you end up making these, they would be considered a cosmetic and would have to follow labeling and other guidelines that regulate cosmetics.

I've been making and using CP Shampoo bars for the last 3 years or so as well as my own conditioner. There are a few "tricks". You're not designing a soap, you're not re-purposing a great soap, you are formulating a product specific to hair. So take a look at what ingredients there are out there for hair care, do some research on what they bring to the party. I don't use coconut oil as I feel it is too cleansing, my opinion. I also use Tallow which is well received in my community, surprisingly enough as I live in Granola country. I use copious amounts of castor oil.

I can tell you my hair dresser is amazed at the condition of my hair, even with dying it, it is strong and healthy as well as soft and shiny. I have a tough time keeping this in stock and I make 3 different types. My regular, a pine tar shampoo and my beer shampoo. I offer my "regular" shampoo in a few fragrances. I think the best way to describe my formulation is to use real oils/fats and combining it with proteins and other hair loving ingredients.

I think most people make surfactant shampoo bars and that's fine, it's just not my preference.

Don't be afraid to try things that you're told can't be done. Neither I, nor any of my customers find we need to use ACV rinses.

Wow Lindy i love your message! I make a CP shampoo bar for my 2 year old son and its great. I included avocado oil and shea butter in mine for the conditioning of his scalp. Its great stuff and I'm really happy with it. It makes his hair really soft - though i do find i need to wash it more frequently than with synthetic shampoos. Where did you get your advice/info from re: CP shampoos? I cant find one that suits my (adult, long) hair yet.

I actually went against what everyone was telling me. I then looked at what each oil brings to the party and determined what properties a shampoo needed to have. The one thing I decided right away was not to use Coconut or Palm Kernel due to the cleansing numbers, they were just too harsh for what I wanted. There was another soaper who I knew that said to add high amounts of Castor and when I looked at that it made total sense. Then I looked at what non-surfactant ingredients are in the Syndet bars and started playing with them. It took me a few tries to get it to where I liked it and then when I sent it out to my testers the comments were really, really positive. That became my shampoo bar. From there you can play with ingredients like beer, egg, fruit extracts, etc to create a line of shampoo.

My Pine Tar shampoo is a totally different recipe because it is addressing a different part of hair/scalp care.

The biggest thing here is to research and know your oils. Plus Panthenol is your friend :wink:

Yes i did something similar, and also use plenty of castor. I havent though of using panthenol, but i am excited! Is this a natural ingredient? how do i 'use' it/include it? (i.e. does it need heating/melting etc...? Can it take the place of some oils...?)

Hello Lindy what kind of Pine Tar you use ? i'm in UK and i can find only Pine Tar like a medicament for a horses :)

Hello Dahila . Have you notice that i'm become a member from 12.05 :)
How i could know that Lindy is not here ;)

Look at the date of the post and realize you are responding to a 6 year old post. Please don't bump old threads. Start a new thread and reference or link to this one.
I sow that this post is old but how i should know that this member is not hare.
here is a lot old posts from members that are still active.
Anyway i will make a new post then .
thanks for yours polite answers.

I sow that this post is old but how i should know that this member is not hare.
here is a lot old posts from members that are still active.
Anyway i will make a new post then .
thanks for yours polite answers.
Alex
I am a new member as well and would like to follow your new thread if you make it please reply with a link. I'm a very new beginner and learning!

Back