Making paste vs bar, just use KOH?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsmar4211

Reaction score
So my little brain came up with an idea...if I have a bar soap recipe idea, can I just use KOH if I want to keep it in a softer paste form (think: something that can be used out of a tube/jar/packet maybe)? Obviously I'll have to do the lye calc and all... can't do it as straight liquid because it involves coffee grounds and clay. Would probably have to use a higher water amount so its not rock hard like my current paste is....

You can't just sub 100 grams of KOH for 100 grams of NaOH. It doesn't work that way -- you really do need to run the recipe through a recipe calculator. Some tips:

Learn what your KOH purity is and calculate accordingly. Soapcalc has the option of choosing KOH purity of 90% which works for a lot of the KOH people are using.
Keep your superfat at 3% or less to avoid separation if you plan to dilute the soap paste. If you are going to use the soap only in paste form, you might be able to go a little higher.
Use a 25% lye concentration for a bit more water than is usual for CP soap.

I am not sure what you want your end product to be, but if you ever intend to dilute it, you will not want coffee grounds or clay.

I make Soap2Go, which is liquid soap paste made with KOH that I then shove into a 1 oz twist type tube (think large lip balm tube). I keep one in my purse all the time so I do not have to use commercial hand soap.

Last edited:
I think you should be able to make a traditional recipe with KOH instead of NaOH (as long as you adjust the amounts via calculator).

With clay and coffee grounds it sounds like you're trying to make a scrub with it. I don't see why you couldn't do that so long as you make sure to SF like a regular bar. My only worry would be that it would be more likely to grow mold than a typical bar because liquid soap is under more constant moisture. So I would test it to make sure it doesn't mold or put a preservative in it.

This is a very interesting idea.

The aim is for something that can be done in something similar to the soap 2 go where just what you need can be squeezed/etc....friends that don't like bar soap are requesting this and yep its for grubby paws :). No dilution really :).

I will try this next week and update you guys on how it goes. This week my brain is not up to the maths LOL.
Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back