Making Paste or Making Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little confused -- you are making a distinction between "make a paste" versus "make soap." Don't you end up with soap no matter whether it's a solid, a paste, or a liquid?

To answer the question I think you're asking --

I'd say most people make a concentrated paste soap first, and then dilute all or part of it into pourable soap as needed. Some of use the paste form of the soap directly for household cleaning or washing dishes, so having paste soap is handy.

There is a "no paste" method that makes a diluted soap right out of the soap pot with no dilution required after the soap is made. I'd say most people don't use this method. Not to say it doesn't work, just that it's not as common as the "make the paste then dilute" method.

Howdy Neighbor! @BettyW

Like @DeeAnna I'm confused. 🤔

To answer your question:
I make the paste - i.e. soap base
Then I dilute it - i.e. liquid soap

Athough there are a couple of recipes I've made where I have left the paste undiluted and used it as is -- aka Beldi Soap.

So I'm guessing you use the no-paste method? i.e. where all the water necessary to make the lye solution for the paste + dilution water is added at the beginning of the batch.

Just to be clear, the "paste" is "soap". It doesn't have to be diluted to be "soap".

Okay. Let's go at this another way... there are about as many different ways to make LS (Liquid Soap) as there are LS-ers! LOL So maybe it would be best if you could describe your method or supply a link to a recipe or a video that shows how you do it so we can better understand your question.
Do you make a paste and store it in contain to use in a month or so vs make paste then into soap right away?
I'm also curious to know why you ask? 🤔

Just to be clear, the "paste" is "soap". It doesn't have to be diluted to be "soap".

Okay. Let's go at this another way... there are about as many different ways to make LS (Liquid Soap) as there are LS-ers! LOL So maybe it would be best if you could describe your method or supply a link to a recipe or a video that shows how you do it so we can better understand your question.

I'm also curious to know why you ask? 🤔

I was just curious what most were doing when making up liquid soap. I have never made the paste in a larger batch then storing it in plastic bags or tubs (placing in refrigerator). When you are ready to make up the liquid soap you take a portion of the stored paste & dilute it.

I have did both with me just diluting it all the last time based on me reading a post from zany that he has kept them diluted for a year and not had issue. Diluting is the hardest part to me and only doing it once seemed easiest though only time will tell how I fare. I did only do about four batches in my life and so many more people on here smarter then me to listen to.
Cheers
gww

Back