Making own essential oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happysoap

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has tried distilling own essential oils and if you can share your experience?
How long does the process take? What is the average yield from lets say mint or chamomile? Is there a way to increase the amount of oil extracted?

I have, but it isn't practical. An inexpensive still is a couple of hundred bucks, the monumental amount of plants needed are not easily grown unless you have a massive amount of land, and the amount of oil extracted is small. Unless for some reason you're love of plants drives you to do it, then practically flies out the window anyway.

How much is a lot of plant matter? How much eo can you get from 2lbs of plant? I am not going to try it but I am curious

I think it varies a great deal. Thousands of roses are needed to make an ounce of rose eo. That's why it's cost prohibitive for anything other than perfumes. For an inexpensive eo like peppermint, I think it's more like five pounds per ounce of eo.

Wow! Five pounds for one oz of oil and that is high yeilding plants. I have newfound respect for the makers of EOs. Would you happen to know how long does the process take?

It depends. For instance patchouli is fermented for up to 6 months. IIRC, before it is ever distilled, but something green and fresh might only take 4 hours to distill. Heating up the water and still would take a lot of time too.

Just curious if anyone has tried distilling own essential oils and if you can share your experience?
How long does the process take? What is the average yield from lets say mint or chamomile? Is there a way to increase the amount of oil extracted?

I know this is an old thread, but there are a lot of links on this subject if you do an internet search. This is only one of many. I'm not vouching or advocating for any method or any of the information, but it does, IMHO, give a quick overview of "homemade" oils.

I dont distill for EO purposes but to actually make my own hydrosols. Depending on how much plant matter i can stuff into my little still i have sometimes gotten an " oil film " but nothing really useable EO wise

I know this is an old thread, but there are a lot of links on this subject if you do an internet search. This is only one of many. I'm not vouching or advocating for any method or any of the information, but it does, IMHO, give a quick overview of "homemade" oils.

That may be a perfectly fine website, but I would disregard the portion about YL being the only place to buy quality essential oils and none of the ways the writer tells people to make essential oils actually produces essential oils.

Last edited:
That may be a perfectly fine website, but I would disregard the portion about YL being the only place to buy quality essential oils and none of the ways the writer tells people to make essential oils actually produces essential oils.

I'm not sure which link I posted now, but I do know I've never purchased from YL -- haven't a clue who YL is, hehehe. I'm used to "editing" when I read. Many web pages have good information, but I have no intention of buying from them. Bulk Apothecary still has the best overall price on the items I buy. I say "overall" because I know a few places are a little less expensive on a few items, but the shipping costs are expensive so I purchase most items from same place. I would buy from the least expensive supplier on every item if I didn't have to pay for shipping again. I find good bargains on ebay and Amazon (usually free shipping) but soap supplies seem to be the exception.

YL = Young Living. A big multi level marketing company selling essential oils and known for questionable practices. Do Terra is their major competitor started by disgruntled former YL employees; it is another MLM organization with a similar reputation. :problem:

Ouch. As a doterra rep I feel that's a little mean spirited. Let's take this thread back to EO distilling and drop the YL / DT bashing.

YL = Young Living. A big multi level marketing company selling essential oils and known for questionable practices. Do Terra is their major competitor started by disgruntled former YL employees; it is another MLM organization with a similar reputation. :problem:
Funny this should come up now...I've had several patients tell me they are taking YL oils...I had never heard of them so I went on their site to find out more. I saw pyramid type of company with a very expensive product. I didn't delve a lot into the process of how they make their oils, they claim they are all safe to be taken internally. What confused me is that the three patients that discussed it with me are all very savvy and educated in herbals and EOs. All I saw on the site was a huge call to become a YL sales rep and buy a lot of their product. Can anyone direct me to any articles that discuss the shadier aspects of this company?

I work in the general public. Those people approach me ON MY JOB trying to sell their products and their marketing strategies that can "make it so you don't have to work anymore while making people healthy". Repeatedly. The same ones come pester me over and over. I don't think much of people who will do that.

I have tried to contact ANYONE in charge about getting these people to stop. To no avail. I don't think much about companies who don't try to police their own people.

rparmy-Did you happen to look into the claims they are making about those products? Have you seen the laws on labeling and the claims you can make without FDA approval?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back