Making MP from scratch..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
I apologize is this is in the wrong place. I couldn't decided since it's technically MP, but also not..

I've seen this link on here before and I filed it away for use at a later date:
http://oilandbutter.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-to-make-your-own-melt-and-pour-soap.html

I'd like to make my own MP base using this method, but I'd like to use my own recipe. I was wondering if anyone has experimented with this and used different oils? I'm afraid that if I use too many "soft" oils, that the resulting MP will be too soft since it's 50% glycerin.

The recipe it calls for is:
Coconut 32 %
Palm 32 %
Castor 32 %
Stearic Acid 4 %
SF 3 %

I don't normally use palm oil and would like to sub in different oils/butters. Any thoughts?

A couple of questions. .. do you need it to be super clear? Do you have access to propylene glycol? Do you have an aversion to animal fats? And most importantly have you watched the 2 good earth spa videos on YouTube?

No I don't need it to be clear and part of he reason I want to make it is to avoid propylene glycol. I don't mind animal fats, but I usually don't use them. If you're referring to the video where a woman uses this same recipe and technique then yes I've seen most of it. My computer wouldn't let me watch the last quarter though so I don't really know how it turned out for her.

I have made it a few ways and I don't think I used palm. Is the video you watched in english? I have made it with tallow and lard. If you make it according to the website directions it is ok just very very sweaty. The less glycerin at the end the better. Personally propylene glycol is not any worse than anything else. I know there are alot of misconceptions about it. Can I ask why you don't want to use it?

Mostly because of the misconceptions. People think its a very bad thing so I really don't want to put it on my labels

Try a small batch and see how you like it. As far as only using glycerin to dissolve the soap you are going to have to really keep your temps low when you go to melt it down. It can be kind of a pain to work with.

I personally think this base is ok in a pinch. I also feel that with a few additional ingredients it could be a great alternative to the sls mp. There is a great book on Amazon about making mp, I don't think you would be interested in the recipes. There is a lot of info on ingredients and just a ton of great general info.

And thank you so much for your help! I have a pound if glycerin coming in Monday that Ill experiment with. I usually melt in a double boiler on low so temp shouldn't be too hard to control.

i'm pretty sure the book Megan was talking about is the book by kayla fioravanti, i think it's called making mp base from scratch. the good earth spa videos are also very good (learned a lot from them).

i make mp base quite a lot. i personally don't suggest 50% glycerin because of the sweating issue. with the PG, i've not personally done it, but i think you can subbed it with high proof alcohol or everclear. sorbitol can also be replaced by sugar syrup. alcohol, glycerin, and sugar, those 3 are enough to make a more balanced mp base, as opposed to only using glycerin.
what's a bit tricky about making mp base (that's if you are after making a clear/transparant one) is getting the right proportion of solvents.

Yes it is by Kayla Fioravanti and it is called How to make melt and pour base from scratch. Let us know how it turns out. ☺

i'm pretty sure the book Megan was talking about is the book by kayla fioravanti, i think it's called making mp base from scratch. the good earth spa videos are also very good (learned a lot from them).

i make mp base quite a lot. i personally don't suggest 50% glycerin because of the sweating issue. with the PG, i've not personally done it, but i think you can subbed it with high proof alcohol or everclear. sorbitol can also be replaced by sugar syrup. alcohol, glycerin, and sugar, those 3 are enough to make a more balanced mp base, as opposed to only using glycerin.
what's a bit tricky about making mp base (that's if you are after making a clear/transparant one) is getting the right proportion of solvents.

+1
Actually the Fioravanti method is the one closest to manufactured MP.
Good Earth Spa follows more or less the same recipe (and so do I).

Sorbitol has an advantage over sugar: it also is a humectant (as far as it helps in a rinse of product).

Tip:
Keeping the temperature low, results in a less yellow soap.

eucalypta made a very good point about temp. try to keep it 75C and less. the sugar solution, yup 50-50 sounds fine.

Thanks y'all for all the help! Ill have to order that book and read it.
I might save you the $$$

The same recipe is to be found here. (The Soapkitchen website)

(After I already made numerous batches (SK being one of my main suppliers), I got the book for free on Amazon last year.)

Last edited:
Though the recipes are great, there is a lot of other info. she did a great job of throughly explaining the ingredients. She also dedicates a couple chapters to running a business that is

Back