Making More "Secret Rose" Soap and a 60% Himalayan Pink Salt Bar :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terri E

"Tucked away in the mountains"
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fullsizeoutput_42b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_428.jpeg
View attachment 37875
fullsizeoutput_426.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_42f.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as gorgeous as the last rose loaf! :thumbs: 60%??? That's a lot of Himalayan salt. People say it's really scratchy even tiny sized - obviously you don't believe so :cool:. I've been put off using it because of that. Even found a really cheap bag of fine H salt and didn't buy it. Should I have?

Just as gorgeous as the last rose loaf! :thumbs: 60%??? That's a lot of Himalayan salt. People say it's really scratchy even tiny sized - obviously you don't believe so :cool:. I've been put off using it because of that. Even found a really cheap bag of fine H salt and didn't buy it. Should I have?
Yes, Himalayan Salt can be very scratchy because of the clay in it. I make salt bars with 100% salt and always use fine Pacific Sea Salt.

Thank you for the kind compliment Jeboz!
When I say this I am speaking from my experience. I have never had a problem with Himalayan pink (iron oxide gives it the pink color) salt being too scratchy. I use it every day. The people I sell to find it wonderful and have never complained of it being "scratchy". I use XX fine or powdered HPS. I buy it from SaltWorks the brand is Ancient Oceans. I have made it for years with no problem. I find most salt bars "scratchy" regardless of the type of salt used. That is the reason I use powdered ( I like powdered or almost powdered best). I have also used Badia HPS as well with no issues. I guess it just depends on the person or people using it. I use an asian nylon bath cloth for showering but have also used it directly on my skin. I do not use high amounts of coconut oil either like most do. I use 10% coconut & 10% babassu.

Last edited:
Stunning soaps!! Your secret roses are sooooo amazing. :nodding: I really like the drop swirl ones (?), too. That's the same color combo on my soleseife and it makes me happy every time I look at it. ;)

Stunning soaps!! Your secret roses are sooooo amazing. :nodding: I really like the drop swirl ones (?), too. That's the same color combo on my soleseife and it makes me happy every time I look at it. ;)
Thank you Meena, you are very kind. I like the salt bar as well and those colors with the shallow drop swirl make me a happy soaper too :dance:

@Dawni Thank you Dawni! I had fun making them :)

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind compliment Jeboz!
When I say this I am speaking from my experience. I have never had a problem with Himalayan pink (iron oxide gives it the pink color) salt being too scratchy. I use it every day. The people I sell to find it wonderful and have never complained of it being "scratchy". I use XX fine or powdered HPS. I buy it from SaltWorks the brand is Ancient Oceans. I have made it for years with no problem. I find most salt bars "scratchy" regardless of the type of salt used. That is the reason I use powdered ( I like powdered or almost powdered best). I have also used Badia HPS as well with no issues. I guess it just depends on the person or people using it. I use an asian nylon bath cloth for showering but have also used it directly on my skin. I do not use high amounts of coconut oil either like most do. I use 10% coconut & 10% babassu.

It's good to know about the powdered salt. I have never seen it as a powder, only as pretty large crystals and usually quite pricey as well. Some folks here recommended popcorn salt because it is so finely ground, but it's also very costly, so I haven't tried it yet, either.

I have bookmarked the SaltWorks website for future reference. Thank you.

It's good to know about the powdered salt. I have never seen it as a powder, only as pretty large crystals and usually quite pricey as well. Some folks here recommended popcorn salt because it is so finely ground, but it's also very costly, so I haven't tried it yet, either.

I have bookmarked the SaltWorks website for future reference. Thank you.

You are certainly welcome;) I would be glad to send you a bar if you would like to try it for yourself. Then you will know :)

Last edited:
your rose soap is fabulous!! I tried the drop swirl last week--it was ok but I wished I would have gotten more drops, do you have any pointers!!

Latest posts

Back