Making Molds With Plastic Corrugated Cardboard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapSap

Reaction score
I would like to make a loaf mold using corrugated cardboard. I have seen an example of this on the internet. I have three questions for anyone on the forum who may have done this and can respond:

1. Can you tell me if the mold needs to be lined with freezer paper, or does the plastic coating
make that step unnecessary?

2. What did you use to tape the corners of the mold? I thought I would use duct tape.

3. How well does this mold hold up for repeated use?

Definitely line with freezer or parchment paper... you don't want soap batter getting into any nooks and crannies. Plus it'll help the longevity of the mold. If you make a simple cardboard box with decent tape, it should last quite some time.

I have some experience with that corrugated cardboard, it is used in the sign industry for temporary, economical signage. The one thing against it for permanent outdoor signage, is that it warps with heat. Keep that in mind when soaping. I have also created lightweight portable displays with it, and yes, you can use duct tape for the seams.

I made a mold out of this 2 years ago, wanted a tall skinny and was too cheap to buy it at the time.
I thought it was difficult to make, even cut myself lol.....and for the time it took me, and the aggravation,
I ended up and just bought a tall skinny from Bramble Berry.

It did work....but I would line it. My stupid butt used a sign I had here, had writing on it....didn't even
think about the writing transferring to the soap....it sure did LOL. It also did bow out in the middle.

From my experience, the duct tape was difficult to remove for me. I used packing tape.
I would definitely use the mylar to line if you can.

It will bulge at the sides. So if you want the mold to hold its shape make a wooden surround for it.

I have expensive BB molds that bulge too. I put heavy books against the sides to counteract. I am sure that will work for this mold as well.

I've never done this, I'd love to hear your results! Maybe trying using quilter's mylar (available at hobby stores) as a re-usable liner.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1489195663.410844.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1489195682.777384.jpg

I just finished making the mold I talked about. So far it looks good to me. And it feels sturdy. Very possibly it will bow in the middle when filled with soap batter. I will line it the first time with freezer paper, then maybe try lining with quilters Mylar. I even think I might have some that I bought to line circular molds at one time.

My investment in material was less than $3.00.

I've never done this, I'd love to hear your results! Maybe trying using quilter's mylar (available at hobby stores) as a re-usable liner.

View attachment 23987View attachment 23988

I just finished making the mold I talked about. So far it looks good to me. And it feels sturdy. Very possibly it will bow in the middle when filled with soap batter. I will line it the first time with freezer paper, then maybe try lining with quilters Mylar. I even think I might have some that I bought to line circular molds at one time.

My investment in material was less than $3.00.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1489196516.503293.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1489196532.244371.jpg

Just finished my mold and I think it will be good. If it bows with the soap batter I can put it between heavy books as I often do with silicone molds.

I will line it with freezer paper the first time and then consider the Mylar suggestion. Total cost was under $3.00 to make.

Back