Making Malleable / Mouldable Wax?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodge

Reaction score
Scenario: I've been helping clear out my parent's garage and came across a LOT of unscented, coloured paraffin pillar candles, as well as a few container candles

I had a muck about with melting them down, mixing them up, and added scents etc - and made a couple of candles that looked / smelled like fruit tarts. Result!

However moulding the fruit on top was a pain in the bum - it was doable (using the container wax, as it was a bit softer), but took way too long! And was very, very messy!

I did a look around online and found some people saying to mix in some Vaseline with the wax. This made it incredibly sticky and it still hardened up too fast to work with properly.

I've seen some kid's candle making sets where the wax is almost like a dough when warmed, so I know it's possible but haven't had much luck finding out how to make it myself.

I've also heard about microcrystalline wax, but have heard wildly varying things on whether it would make a mixture softer or harder! I'm pretty lost.

Anyone have any experience with this who could give me a push in the right direction? Thanks!

(And before you say get moulds instead, I have a raspberry one coming in the post, but have yet to find an orange slice one that I liked ;), and I like how the handmade ones all look slightly different!)

Back