Making low sweat melt and pour from scratch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipperysoap

Reaction score
Hi there, I tried a new low sweat melt and pour soap base from a supplier and felt that it was too harsh on my skin, probably due to the high amount of coconut oil. This were their ingredient (% is Substance content, not just oils. However, they don't add up to 100%)

- Olive oil 20.5%
- Coconut oil 12.7%
- Water 12%
- Shea butter 10%
- Sweet almond oil 10%
- Sucrose 10%
- Kojic acid 3%
- Goats Milk 3%

If I were to make my own low sweat melt and pour soap base instead, will reducing coconut oil and adding more shea butter help to make it less harsh? Or more olive oil?

This kind of recipe usually uses another solvent such as glycerin or propylene glycol.
Yes, I suspect the remaining % is probably propylene glycol. Will reducing the % of coconut oil and increasing the olive oil and Shea butter % make the mp soap base less harsh?

The recipe contains a small percentage of coconut oil, so I would not expect it to produce a harsh soap. Could the Kojic acid have caused a reaction with your skin? You will need to know how to manipulate the percentages of each ingredient in order to change the amount of ingredients used.

Latest posts

Back