Making liquid shampoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy to help.

I will caution you regarding dimethicone in shampoo. It may not stay mixed in well, and if you do get it to mix in properly, it will reduce the lather you get. That's why I mentioned it being used to suppress lather in industrial detergents. I recommend you use it only in conditioner. If you want to make a 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner, you'll need to use something else. I'm on break at work right now so I can't do it right now but later I will give you some recommendations. Remember "conditioned" doesn't always mean "shiny", but conditioned hair will feel smoother.
Hi Quanta, hope you are doing well
I made a shampoo using dimethicone and at the same time also used citric acid and got the ph level down ( hopefully - beacuse by using the litmus paper, I cant figure out much if its 5 or 6, but I am assuming that becoz I have used citric so ph would have come down) the shampoo turned out well.
I have used that shampoo twice and didnt apply Conditioner just to see the results of the shampoo and it has turned out well.
Because I told you I'll come back and just thought of sharing it with you
:) :thumbs:. Thank you

Hi Quanta, hope you are doing well
I made a shampoo using dimethicone and at the same time also used citric acid and got the ph level down ( hopefully - beacuse by using the litmus paper, I cant figure out much if its 5 or 6, but I am assuming that becoz I have used citric so ph would have come down) the shampoo turned out well.
I have used that shampoo twice and didnt apply Conditioner just to see the results of the shampoo and it has turned out well.
Because I told you I'll come back and just thought of sharing it with you
:) :thumbs:. Thank you
Awesome, glad to hear it. What percentage of dimethicone did you end up using?

Did you have your family use this new shampoo? How does it compare to the one that made their hair feel rough and dry?

Did you have your family use this new shampoo? How does it compare to the one that made their hair feel rough and dry?
I used 2 percent. It is yet to be experimented with others, but I could feel the difference between this one and the earlier I made.
I also used couple of other thing to support dimethicone doing the thing alone, those other things were cetrimonium chloride and polyquart 7. All the 3 things did their contribution along with citric acid. I shall shortly share it with others to give me the feedback :)

Hi Quanta,
hope you are doing good. I had mentioned in my earlier post that I added dimethicone to get smoother hair, but it's not getting dissolved. I mean after few days, am noticing that my shampoo is separating. what can be the reason, how can I fix it?

Hi Quanta,
hope you are doing good. I had mentioned in my earlier post that I added dimethicone to get smoother hair, but it's not getting dissolved. I mean after few days, am noticing that my shampoo is separating. what can be the reason, how can I fix it?
It may be the surfactants you're using. When I looked at the ingredients of shampoos at my grocery store (post 17 on the previous page), the one that was the most similar to yours did not have silicone in it. The ones that did use it were very different from yours. It could also be that you just have too much of it in there. You can try using a lot less silicone, maybe 0.5% or 1% and see how that does. You may also be able to add something else to get the silicone to stay mixed in without having to reformulate too much, but I'm not sure what to use. If you have a subscription to swiftcraftymonkey.blog, you can do a search for "conditioning shampoo" to see how to do it, as I have seen shampoo formulas there with 4% silicone in it.

It is going to be much easier to either:
Formulate a conditioner that your husband and kids will use. You will have to use BTMS as your emulsifier anyway, and that is what you would use to emulsify silicones. I have made a sprayable leave-in conditioner that had BTMS, silicone, and coconut oil and my family members who tried it said they liked it.

Or:
Use a different conditioning agent in your shampoo. However, this type of 2-in-1 product is only good for people who just need a little conditioning, and if your family's hair is rough and dry after using only shampoo then they will probably need a separate conditioner so they get the more intense conditioning they need. But if you want to still make a 2-in-1 product, try polyquaternium 10 (or other polyquats). I have not used that one yet so I am not sure how to go about incorporating it but it does seem common in 2-in-1 shampoos.

You can also make a shampoo bar with BTMS in it. You can't make a liquid shampoo with BTMS because it isn't compatible, but I always put it in my shampoo bars and it works great, although I do use a separate conditioner after shampooing.

Latest posts

Back