Quantcast

making it a business

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

dbloomingdale

Reaction score
I have been a hobbyist for almost 19 years. I always wanted to make my hobby a business but because I already work full time, it just would not be easy. Is there anyone out there that after many years of hobby, decided to make it a business?

amd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not after as many years as you have, but I did soap for a year and a half before I started my business. I've been in business for 5-1/2 years and still work full time outside the home (plus 4 kids and a hubby), at one point I worked full-time and had two part time jobs plus the soap biz.

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still working full time and have my tiny little soap business on the side. Saturdays are for making and Sunday is market day (our season hasn't started yet). I only sell at one market but when (if) I retire, I'll try to get into another couple of markets locally.

JackofallShaves

Reaction score
I soaped for about 13 months and researched everything for about 6 months before that, before I started my business. I have a full time job with 50+ hour weeks, a soap business and a product photography business.

I do have a ton of room for process optimization in my business. I just started, so only get about one order a week. On one hand, this allows me save some costs and print all the labels, fold the boxes and "build" my package only when I get an order, but on the other hand, it takes me a long time to fulfill an order. I still don't have a good grasp on forecasting order volume and managing inventory based on that, I am guessing all this will come if(and when) the business grows.

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an opportunity about 18 months ago to put more time into setting up a small 'side hustle' due to a restructure at work which left me working a 0.5 contract. However, at the time I worked out that if I wanted to earn the same amount as my full time job I would have to make and sell 10 batches of soap per week. I knew that would never be possible for me - I can manage 4 batches per week at most, and i certainly don't sell that amount. Therefore it remains a sideline for me. I also sell my artwork on stones which is more lucrative having only my time to pay for (the cost of paint and stones is minimal). These two products, with a website and monthly market attendance (plus three big annual markets), allow me to have a viable sideline business to top up my part-time main income. To do any more than that I would need to have a dedicated soaping space ( I currently use the kitchen) and significantly more financial input into better equipment and resources. Besides which, I actually like my day job and value the mental stimulation it provides. Also - I'm sure if i were to dedicate my entire working week to my creative pursuits that they would become less pleasing to me - making them more of a chore rather than a creative outlet.