making it a business

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbloomingdale

Reaction score
I have been a hobbyist for almost 19 years. I always wanted to make my hobby a business but because I already work full time, it just would not be easy. Is there anyone out there that after many years of hobby, decided to make it a business?

Not after as many years as you have, but I did soap for a year and a half before I started my business. I've been in business for 5-1/2 years and still work full time outside the home (plus 4 kids and a hubby), at one point I worked full-time and had two part time jobs plus the soap biz.

Not after as many years as you have, but I did soap for a year and a half before I started my business. I've been in business for 5-1/2 years and still work full time outside the home (plus 4 kids and a hubby), at one point I worked full-time and had two part time jobs plus the soap biz.
😳 !!!

I soaped for about 13 months and researched everything for about 6 months before that, before I started my business. I have a full time job with 50+ hour weeks, a soap business and a product photography business.

I do have a ton of room for process optimization in my business. I just started, so only get about one order a week. On one hand, this allows me save some costs and print all the labels, fold the boxes and "build" my package only when I get an order, but on the other hand, it takes me a long time to fulfill an order. I still don't have a good grasp on forecasting order volume and managing inventory based on that, I am guessing all this will come if(and when) the business grows.

I had an opportunity about 18 months ago to put more time into setting up a small 'side hustle' due to a restructure at work which left me working a 0.5 contract. However, at the time I worked out that if I wanted to earn the same amount as my full time job I would have to make and sell 10 batches of soap per week. I knew that would never be possible for me - I can manage 4 batches per week at most, and i certainly don't sell that amount. Therefore it remains a sideline for me. I also sell my artwork on stones which is more lucrative having only my time to pay for (the cost of paint and stones is minimal). These two products, with a website and monthly market attendance (plus three big annual markets), allow me to have a viable sideline business to top up my part-time main income. To do any more than that I would need to have a dedicated soaping space ( I currently use the kitchen) and significantly more financial input into better equipment and resources. Besides which, I actually like my day job and value the mental stimulation it provides. Also - I'm sure if i were to dedicate my entire working week to my creative pursuits that they would become less pleasing to me - making them more of a chore rather than a creative outlet.

Back