Making infused oils for CP soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chlobue

Reaction score
Has anybody ever made their own infused oils for CP soap? I have tons of peppermint,rosemary,lemon balm and calendula that I would like to use in my soap making oils. What would be the best oil to use? I was thinking of Cocunut oil as it doesn't have a scent. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!! :?: :?:

This is how I do it. Sterilize all your jars and utensils. Fresh herbs should be slightly wilted while dry herbs can go in the oil as is. Make sure to not get any moisture in the jar to avoid mold. Get a clear jar with a lid, fill it with your herbs (1 cup of fresh or 1/2 cup of dried) and cover with your oil - about 1 quart. Let the jar sit in a sunny spot like a window and gently shake the jar every day. Leave the mixture in the jar for about a few weeks making sure to shake the jar daily. . The longer the herbs stay in the jar, the better. Once you are done, just strain the mixture through a cheesecloth and pour the clean oil back in the jar and you are ready to go.

infused oils for cp soap making

Thanks for your help. What kind of oils have you used this method with? I can't wait to try it :lol: :lol:

I use dry herbs..

Olive Oil most part.
Chamomile, and Calendula is lovely..

Lavender, with peppermint..

I put it in a dark jar.. sit it by the sun and shake every chance I pass it.. for about 2 months or so..
strain it..
Use it :)

How is this for scenting? Does sapponification mess with the scent of the infused oil?

I have one of those tiny crock pots that comes free with the big ones, I think it's to keep dip warm....anyway I put my dried herbs in it and fill it with olive oil and plug it in for a couple of hours, then leave the lid on and let it sit overnight. The next morning I sniff the oil, if I want it stronger I plug it in again and let it sit overnight again.

When it is as strong as I want it, I strain out the dried herbs and use them in CPHP. The smell barely comes thru at all but it is nice in Castilles or Bastilles. (IMHO) :D

campbellsoap said:
Can you use fresh orange peel to do this?

jackie

I've infused orange zest in oil - but not the whole peel. I will have to try that. If it works - I wouldn't have to strain.

I use the crockpot method too.

Marr said:
campbellsoap said:
Can you use fresh orange peel to do this?

jackie

I've infused orange zest in oil - but not the whole peel. I will have to try that. If it works - I wouldn't have to strain.

I use the crockpot method too.

I used whole tangerine peel in my last batch, big mistake. No amount of EO could match the smell of the pith. So! Zest: OK. Whole peel: No.

in my culinary experience, the white part of the citrus adds a sour taste and throws off the recipe, which is why the zest is mainly used. I used lemon zest in my fisrt batch ever...worked out pretty well because as the sap process happens I think it further 'cooked' the EO's out of the zest.... that is where the highest percentage of EO's are located in most citrus (to my knowledge at least)

worked well for me and adds a nice look to the soap as well as a little bit of natural exfoliant!

IanT

I know this is an old post, but, we were talking about this yesterday or so. Some helpful info here :)

Latest posts

Back