Making high coconut Oil recipe(20 pecent Plus superfat) question?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slapsoap

Reaction score
ok so I normally use 20 percent superfat and use 80 percent coconut oil. The soap comes out amazing. great lather. Im just curious what is the max superfat anybody else has done using high coconut recipes? and what difference does it make? Does the soap itself look different? id appreciate input from people that do make soap using high superfat. thanks! btw I do hot process method only now.

For years, the only soap I made was HP 100% CO with 20% SF. Lathered great, and we loved it. I also made a version with coffee for water and coffee grounds for scrubby-ness. I tried 30% SF a few times but didn’t like how oily it felt and how fast it got used up.

Most handcrafted soap is so much better than commercial soap that we are gaga over whatever we make. But as I began experimenting, my tastes changed. Now I use a mix of oils and only 2-3% SF. That’s nothing against how my old high SF soap lathered, but I do like having less soap scum, and washing soapy dishes that are much less oily. And my skin is even happier with less CO. 😊

for sure im going to make a low superfat soap for pure dish washing one fo these days. But im curious the diffence in going above 20 percent. Coconut oil soap is amazing it imo blows my old recipe that had more ingredients including palm oil.

for sure im going to make a low superfat soap for pure dish washing one fo these days. But im curious the diffence in going above 20 percent. Coconut oil soap is amazing it imo blows my old recipe that had more ingredients including palm oil.
As noted above, the highest SF I've gone is 30%, but that was in a 100% CO salt bar. It was ok, but I like the 20%SF salt bars better. In comparison to what I make now, and even at 100% CO, the 30% SF soap felt too oily to me - like I didn't get clean.

My skin also changed over time and became a lot drier and more sensitive after menopause. So now it doesn't matter how much SF I use, my skin doesn't do as well with high CO soaps these days, except for salt bars.

But im curious the diffence in going above 20 percent.

Because different people have different experiences, the only way to know is to try it yourself.

Here is what I would do...get yourself a Round Cavity Mold; each cavity hold 3 oz. You'll need around 9.5 oz Oil Weight overall and I would simply divide the Oils equally into four paper cups. And using 9.5 oz Oil Weight and my regular Lye Concentration, I would then run it through a Soap Calculator with no scent and 20%, 25%, 30%, and 35% Superfat. Write down the amounts of NaOH and Water for each and then mix a fourth of that amount along with a little bit of colorant (different for each one) and mix into your oils and pour. Then let all four bars cure as you normally would and then test them.

Latest posts

Back