Making failed CP batch into MP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Making failed CP batch into MP v. rebatching

I was on DISH just now, and came across this thread, about making a failed CP into MP rather than rebatching. I was kind of blown away with how pretty the result was, not at all like a regular re-batch. Has anyone here done this?

I hate re-batching b/c I don't like the way it looks, and have more soap on hand that I can ever possibly use/gift, so will admit to generally throwing the occasional failed batch away rather than re-batching.

Anyway, this poster essentially just melted down the CP, waited until/checked that it was lye-neutral, then added PG, sugar water and glycerin, with what look to be pretty wonderful results. It seems like I have seen a thread on here about something like this in the last couple of months, but can't find it (I did search.)

Not sure if this link will work (you have to be a member of DISH to post/view all the posts there, not sure it that is true w/archived threads, as well.) In unviewable, would you let me know?

http://www.thedishforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/185025-i-messed-up-a-cp-batch/

Last edited:
Thanks, lsg, that was the exact thread I remembered. I am going to think on this some more, order some more PG and glycerin, and then might have other questions for you (sorry :)! I am glad your's came out well, I was hoping to hear something like that b/c her's was so pretty and I would really rather not throw batches away if they can be remade like this ....

Not sure if this link will work (you have to be a member of DISH to post/view all the posts there, not sure it that is true w/archived threads, as well.) In unviewable, would you let me know?

I tried to follow the link but it wanted me to sign in. I'm not a member there so no go.

Arthur, I hope the OP on DISH would not mind, her name is CiCi, I am going to try and cut-and-paste her first couple of posts from her thread, plus the pic, so you can get a sense of things. Here they are:

“I make my own MP, so when I mess up a batch of CP, I simply turn it into MP. I prefer that over rebatching it into a really ugly glop of HP reject. This way, I can use it as embeds or simply bars in a new form. My original CP batch started out with colors of green, orange and yellow, but when I turned it into MP, this is the color green that I got. I am not particularly fond of the color, but it will do. If it were not for the green color, it would be pretty clear. Just wanted to share so that those of you who are throwing out your messed up batches know that there are other options other than tossing.”

“It was a regular batch of CP, with my CP ingredients. I messed up the batch so the next day, I threw it in the pot, melted it down, cooked it and tested with Phenophathalein until all the lye was gone. Once it was ready, I added PG, sugar water and glycerin. The soap already had castor oil in it, so I didn't add any more. I stirred until melted and poured into molds. It is a really easy process. I don't add any surfactants and I am currently working on a way to do away with PG. I tried Propanediol, which is really expensive to use and though I had a good MP bar, it wasn't as clear as I wanted it. I got a good lather with this but always looking for better. I'm determined to find the magic pill. Determined! It doesn't sweat. None of my MP sweats but it could be because I live on the West Coast.”

http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/cecleto/media/CiCi/CPtoMP.jpg.html

Back