Making Deodorant

Discussion in 'Bath and Body Forum' started by tjturner, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Jul 9, 2017 #61

Aline

Aline

Aline

Lifetime Supporter

Hi Irish Lass!

I am about to start working on a deodorant stick based on Susan's formulas & Bramble Berry's deodorant base (which really works for me but it's not particularly cheap) and am wondering how your recipe went?

Aloha,
    Aline

2. Jul 9, 2017 #62

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin  

Aloha, Aline!

I'm very sorry to have to inform you that I have actually not made it yet, wouldn't you know it. :oops: I got distracted along the way with the magnesium hydroxide powder/babassu oil deodorant that everyone has been making with excellent results, and it's been working so well for me that I haven't even thought about making the above recipe you posted.

Have you by any chance seen TeresaT's "de-funk de pits' thread? Starting on page 9 of the thread is where we started experimenting with making deodorant with just powdered magnesium hydroxide & babassu oil (starting at post 89): http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=60682&page=9

IrishLass :)

Lion Of Judah and Dahila like this.
  3. Jul 9, 2017 #63

Aline

Aline

Aline

Lifetime Supporter

LOL, I know how that goes! I did start reading that post but did not get to that bit! Thanks, I will check it out :) I do already have the ingredients to make a stick deo though so will try that first...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    IrishLass likes this.
  4. Jul 10, 2017 #64

BattleGnome

BattleGnome

BattleGnome

I'll add here that I recently got BB's deodorant base to try. Unscented it workes reasonably well, I can expect 12 hours before I start smelling too bad. I mixed some with Spearmint EO and got the redness/rash people complained about in reviews. My EO may not have been of questionable quality or it could have reacted weird. Just figured I'd note it since they say they use the additive as the active ingredient

Aline likes this.
  5. Jul 10, 2017 #65

Aline

Aline

Aline

Lifetime Supporter

Spearmint can be irritating to the skin. I added lavender to mine and it's not at all irritating...

BattleGnome likes this.
  6. Jul 17, 2017 #66

Soaps_and_more

Soaps_and_more

Soaps_and_more

Zinc oxide

Hi,
    I have now been experimenting for three years.

I cannot stand baking soda, in any form, nor any kind of fragrance.

Luckily I don't have a lot of body odor. I now make a solid stick, with a little beeswax to give hardness, some butters, what ever I have at the moment, love shea butter, some oils, and zinc oxide.
    That's all.

Works really good.
    Doesn't stain and keeps me non smelling the whole day.

I also find that the butters do me good under the arms. What ever that means, I just love applying it, never had a day of red or irritated arm pits since.

7. Jul 17, 2017 #67

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

Supporting Member

The "de-funk da pits" deodorant using magnesium hydroxide powder and babassu oil can be a stick deodorant. This thread is worth reading in full. It works and is much less likely to cause skin irritation and fabric staining than the baking soda versions using butters.

Gaisy59 likes this.
  8. Jul 18, 2017 #68

mmills

mmills

mmills

I tried several recipes I found on line, but the oil to corn starch ratio was too high and contained too much baking soda which caused rashes. Now, I don't even bother with a recipe. I just melt the coconut oil - any amount - then keep stirring in corn starch, with a very small amt of baking soda, until the mixture is stiff and difficult to turn. I then press it into an empty deodorant applicator. It works quite well and washes out of clothing easily because of the lower oil content.

9. Jul 20, 2017 #69

Jburch

Jburch

Jburch

I have made a liquid deodorant, it's base is witchhazel and cider vinegar, very effective and I also make a deodorant powder with cornstarch. Both of these are effective for me!

10. Jul 20, 2017 #70

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

PKO has less tendency to stain clothing versus coconut oil. I dabbled for awhile with trying to make one and even 0.5% baking soda caused a painful rash after a few months. Haven't played with them since.