Making CP soap with Soda Pop

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's got sugar, it will massively volcano when you add the lye to it LOL...I made soap out of Mountain Dew and the liquid volume expanded to a LOT . I used the soda as my water, after letting it go flat. It turned bright orange and more than tripled in volume. No smell survived, but talk about bubbles! It was a great soap in the end but whew on the volcano! If I do it again, I'll only sub out maybe half the water for the soda...

I knew there was someone who had done a Mt. Dew soap! Thanks for the heads up about the size increase. I plan to try a small batch with my 1:1 lye solution, not sure if I will do 2 parts soda or only 1 part soda, but regardless I will plan for expansion due to your warning! I appreciate the heads up :)

Not sure if I will get to it this week - we're still adjusting to back to school this week. I put the whole house on a schedule - last year was chaos with one kid flunking a class because he was gaming instead of doing homework, one kid still wandering the house at midnight, one kid refusing to do his chores, and one kid crying every morning because she was exhausted from everyone else keeping her awake at night. So this year everyone has been told that homework and chores will be done before doing anything else, devices off half an hour before bedtime, and everyone has a bedtime. Last night was lovely, my husband and I read the newspaper together, without interruption, and talked, without interruption. And then we both went to bed before midnight because we were calm and relaxed. This is probably going to cut into my soaping time, but I'm ok with that :D

cmzaha, how do you dilute your lye then? Or are you basically using it as an additive? My plan was to use it for 100% of the liquid (which I did) , didn't think of just adding a small portion and then calling it soda soap LOL.

Yes, I have made soap with soda pop and it works just fine. I soap 50/50 lye solution and used the soda as the remainder of the liquid. Never had it overheat or volcano.
Hi,I'm would love to try this. What do you mean by using the soda as the rest? 1 part water/1 part soda pop /1part lye am I correct?

cmzaha, how do you dilute your lye then? Or are you basically using it as an additive? My plan was to use it for 100% of the liquid (which I did) , didn't think of just adding a small portion and then calling it soda soap LOL.
Not cmzaha, but she earlier said she uses a 50/50 lye solution and the soda is used as the remaining liquid in her soap. Sort of along the same lines as the split method of milk soaping.

jcandle...ahhh ok between the two I see what is meant. For some reason I was picturing a 50/50 lye, then adding the soda pop to the lye solution...not sure how I came up with that.

Side note, I've read to boil it down...I can't imagine that clean up or smell! I did not do that LOL. I just let it go flat in the fridge....

NsMar42111, I generally don't like boiling down either. I've only done it once. I don't like the smell permeating my house, for one thing. Letting it go flat and then just being really careful seems to work fine when using sugary and even alcoholic stuff in soap, at least for me.

NsMar42111, I generally don't like boiling down either. I've only done it once. I don't like the smell permeating my house, for one thing. Letting it go flat and then just being really careful seems to work fine when using sugary and even alcoholic stuff in soap, at least for me.

I do boil down beer, mostly to make it flat rather than burning off the alcohol. When I first started making soap beer I left the beer open for a few days until it was flat. I didn't like the smell of the flat beer, my husband told me it is because the beer will collect wild yeasts which then changes the aroma and the beer itself. I want to preserve the qualities of the beer as much as possible, so I boil for 5 minutes and then pour it back into a growler to cool. Although my husband still cries when I boil beer, he doesn't think it is as bad as leaving it open. Plus the few times I have added lye to beer, it's been a less dangerous experience for me - no volcano overflow.

please do tell me if I'm wrong here as I am completely new to this iv made some melt and pour soap from a bought base and next project is cp soap so I'm sorry if I'm wrong. I have been watching you tube videos and looking for ideas on cp and making melt and pour soap base from scratch and have looked at a few recipes for it. Would making a melt and pour recipe and adding soda/beer ect work as a solvent all the recipes iv found have a sugar solution as part of what they call a solvent not sure the technicalities of it thought it was worth an input I even registered just to suggest this and hopefully gather some good ideas for my soapy ventures

I do boil down beer, mostly to make it flat rather than burning off the alcohol. When I first started making soap beer I left the beer open for a few days until it was flat. I didn't like the smell of the flat beer, my husband told me it is because the beer will collect wild yeasts which then changes the aroma and the beer itself. I want to preserve the qualities of the beer as much as possible, so I boil for 5 minutes and then pour it back into a growler to cool. Although my husband still cries when I boil beer, he doesn't think it is as bad as leaving it open. Plus the few times I have added lye to beer, it's been a less dangerous experience for me - no volcano overflow.

Back