Making colorants ahead of time

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TC Cook

Reaction score
Hi y'all!
New soaper, first post and I did try to find the answer using the search function but didn't see specific answers regarding premixing colorants. I did see I can do that with lye which I will 50/50 then measure and adjust water. But... Can I mix up micas, activated charcoal and Titanium dioxide ahead of time. Master batch it so to speak? It just seems it would be faster if I wasn't mixing up small amounts all the time and just dip in.

But... Can I mix up micas, activated charcoal and Titanium dioxide ahead of time. Master batch it so to speak? It just seems it would be faster if I wasn't mixing up small amounts all the time and just dip in.
Yes, you can pre-disperse your colorants; in fact, it is often recommended for TD. And I know of several folks who recommend pre-dispersing neons, pigments, clays, oxides and ultramarines because if not properly dispersed and lead to specks. You will want to use a lightweight oil and/or distilled water and make sure your containers are tightly sealed.

Hi y'all!
New soaper, first post and I did try to find the answer using the search function but didn't see specific answers regarding premixing colorants. I did see I can do that with lye which I will 50/50 then measure and adjust water. But... Can I mix up micas, activated charcoal and Titanium dioxide ahead of time. Master batch it so to speak? It just seems it would be faster if I wasn't mixing up small amounts all the time and just dip in.
I too am interested in pre-mixing titanium dioxide and I know several members here do that. When I have more time, I'll do a search.

I do not pre-make activated charcoal. It is sooo very fine that I just dump it into my soap batter and it quickly blends in with no lumps. I also dump micas right into the soap batter. Note about micas, though, is to read the ingredients list. Some labeled "mica" also contain oxides and titanium oxides.

Also, welcome to the forum! Glad to have ya.

I too am interested in pre-mixing titanium dioxide and I know several members here do that. When I have more time, I'll do a search.
There are three types of TD...water soluble, oil soluble and water/oil soluble.

Lisa at "I Dream in Soap" has a really nice VIDEO on the topic and after watching it, I switch to oil soluble and haven't looked back.

I tried mixing colorants in oils ahead of time, but I found it hard to determine how much I needed or how much I was using since it was already dispersed. I also noticed that after some time they smelled odd, as if the oil had oxidized mixed with the micas.

The titanium dioxide from Nurture soap is water soluble and it has been so easy and quick to disperse, no lumps or streaks. That is the one I prefer nowadays and I just measure and mix it before making the soap.
I am all for master batching anything that can be done so, hopefully it works for you, but it did not for me.

I had the same result; the micas settled, and eventually the premix didn't smell good.

I have lots of micas (SABLE, to use the knitter's acronym), and I try to have fun using different colors in different combinations. So with the exception of TD, I just don't use each color often enough to use up a premixed batch before it would go bad.

It's also a lot of work to clean out the little containers after the oil has gotten old.

I pre-mixed all colorants in glycerin, that way I did not worry about whether they were oxides, micas, dyes, etc, in small squeeze-top bottles. I did not want to add any extra oil to my soaps and never knew just how much colorant I would want to use. If it was a color I did not use often I would premix it in little deli cups which I could put a lid on and save it. I hated wasting colorants with the price of them. I would print little labels on my Dymo to label the deli cup and store them in a small plastic organizer that had 3 drawers lined with wax paper and paper towels on top of the wax paper. Sometimes the little cups could drip.

TD I always used Oil TD and pre-mixed it in high oleic canola or sunflower with BHT added or a drop of ROE. I personally found BHT kept it longer. Over the years I quit using TD it was just too much hassle. How I mixed it was in a pint jar with an old blender. I would put some stainless ball bearing in the jar so I could shake it up when I was ready to use it.

I pre-mixed all colorants in glycerin, that way I did not worry about whether they were oxides, micas, dyes, etc, in small squeeze-top bottles. I did not want to add any extra oil to my soaps and never knew just how much colorant I would want to use.
Did you find that the glycerin affected the feel of your soap at all?

I had the same result; the micas settled, and eventually the premix didn't smell good.

I have lots of micas (SABLE, to use the knitter's acronym), and I try to have fun using different colors in different combinations. So with the exception of TD, I just don't use each color often enough to use up a premixed batch before it would go bad.

It's also a lot of work to clean out the little containers after the oil has gotten old.
@AliOop “SABLE”? (I’ve had my morning coffee and still can’t work out the acronym)

@cmzaha What ratio of glycerin to colorant did you use? Did you find it hard to get out the clumps? I usually mix mine with a milk frother, but I'm not sure how well that would work with glycerin.

I premix my water soluble TD at a 3:1 ratio.1 part TD, 3 parts distilled water. I add it all to a squeeze bottle with marbles and each time I use it, I shake it up. No TD speckles since doing this (about 5 years now). I don’t premix colors in a bottle, I just mix my color with a little light oil right before I need it. I never ever add my micas to my soap batter, it takes too much mixing to get a non speckled color without the batter getting too thick. All my soaps have designs and I need my soap batter to be at a really light trace.

@cmzaha What ratio of glycerin to colorant did you use? Did you find it hard to get out the clumps? I usually mix mine with a milk frother, but I'm not sure how well that would work with glycerin.
Sorry, I am not a great one at measuring such things. I did mix the colors strong so I would not use a lot when adding to my batter, I would just leave enough room to stir in my colorant using enough glycerin to dissolve my color powder. I used a little mini Badger paint mixer. badger paint mixer

Latest posts

Back