Making candles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyisthelimit1027

Reaction score
i'm new at making candles but i love burning them so i thought i would make my own and see what happens. I do have a few questions. Some might me common sence but like i said i am new at this. First, i made my first set of candles and it burns right down the center. I put it in a 4 oz old jar from glade. is there anything you can do to stop this? Is there is something else you can use to scent them? I was aslo wondering what is the best way to scent your candle? i bought liquid fregrance from the craft store along with everything else to make candles and i even put more then is said on the bottle in the wax and i have been burning it all day and i'm not smelling anything. I have one burning in my kitchen and one in my dinning room bother the same scent and i can't smell anything. Thanks :?:

Wow, that is a loaded question. First of all where did you get your wax from? Most places that sell wax will give you suggestions on the correct wick to use, taking into account the wax, the size of your container and sometimes the scent or fragrance oil you use. If you got it from the craftstore, might I suggest getting some better quality wax from a candle wax supplier, there are tons out there! Then they will be able to advise you on the proper wick and chances are they will carry wicks to go with their wax and fragrance oils too. It sounds like your wick was too small for your jar, it tunneled because the wick was not hot enough to melt the wax beyound the area it did, thus not reaching out wide enough. It's a pretty common problem when you first start making candles to get the right wick for the job and every wax does not work with every wick and every wick does not work with every wax or container and so on and so on. It takes a long time and a great deal of practice and testing to get it down. There are forums out there that are specific to candle making, check them out and then roll up your sleeves!

More research on the topic is what you have to do. Craft store wax is ok but more money than from candle supply place. Much testing must be done on wax and container and wick size and fragrances. Putting more than the suggested amount is not going to make your candle any better and can be dangerous to.

Thank you all for sharing this info. This is very interesting. At what stage do you add the fragrances to the wax?

Back