Making Bath Bombs with Witch Hazel instead of Rubbing Alcohol?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flowerdollie

Reaction score
Hello! I’m new here and also kind of new to bath bomb making.

I’ve been using Dean Wilson’s videos on YouTube to make my bath bombs.
He uses Rubbing Alcohol as one of his wet ingredients, but I wanted to add Witch Hazel instead.

So I added my wet ingredients together in another container (separate from the dry ingredients) as he instructed.
Once I added the Fragrance, Polysorbate 80 and the Almond Oil I added the Witch Hazel in replacement of Rubbing Alcohol.
But as I added the Witch Hazel in my wet ingredients it turned it white and thicker!

So what I wanted to know...
what was the reason for it turning gooey and white like that?
was it still good to add into my dry ingredients to create bath bombs?
For the amount I used, I needed 15 grams of Rubbing Alcohol and used 15 grams of Witch Hazel instead. Was using the same amount of Witch Hazel right or did I need to use less/more of it?

Thank you! I’m not sure if this is necessary, but the fragrance I used was Raspberry.

Hello! I’m new here and also kind of new to bath bomb making.

I’ve been using Dean Wilson’s videos on YouTube to make my bath bombs.
He uses Rubbing Alcohol as one of his wet ingredients, but I wanted to add Witch Hazel instead.

So I added my wet ingredients together in another container (separate from the dry ingredients) as he instructed.
Once I added the Fragrance, Polysorbate 80 and the Almond Oil I added the Witch Hazel in replacement of Rubbing Alcohol.
But as I added the Witch Hazel in my wet ingredients it turned it white and thicker!

So what I wanted to know...
what was the reason for it turning gooey and white like that?
was it still good to add into my dry ingredients to create bath bombs?
For the amount I used, I needed 15 grams of Rubbing Alcohol and used 15 grams of Witch Hazel instead. Was using the same amount of Witch Hazel right or did I need to use less/more of it?

Thank you! I’m not sure if this is necessary, but the fragrance I used was Raspberry.
It sounds like the water in the witchhazel reacted with the polysorbate/almond oil and created an emulsion. From what I understand witchhazel has more water content than alcohol. Rubbing alcohol water content depends on which concentration you get (50%, 70%, etc). I am not really sure how this affects the final bath bomb behavior, as I always use rubbing alcohol, as it is too humid where I live.

Back