Making a soap with butterfly pea flower powder and purple sweet potato?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slapsoap

Reaction score
Has anybody used these and if so how did they turn out? Im just concerned these will turn out brown in soap making?

Both are anthocyanin pigments (just like red cabbage, berries, wine, and hibiscus). So they don't survive the lye inferno of soapmaking undamaged.

Do they turn brown even if added to hot process soap after the saponification is complete?

I can't tell about HP specifically, but when I incorporated butterfly pea powder into soap dough (that was essentially through saponification by that time), it had looked promising for a week or two, until it turned into a weird olive colour.

Hi I want to experiment with coloring with the butterfly pea flower powder. Does anyone know how to use it so it makes your soap blue?
I have not tried it myself, but I did some googling after reading a thread on the subject here at SMF and found these links below:

Found not to stay blue: Soap dough and late superfat/colour/FO addition

Using tea & not the actual powder also found to be unstable in CP soap: Butterfly Pea Flower Tea

For MP soap, see this link for more information on extracting the color from the flowers: Butterfly Pea Flower Soap Recipe

Latest posts

Back