Making a Lip Balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blessedmoon

Reaction score
Hey folks! I'm new here.. and I've been interested in making herbal lip balm for a while now. I've been doing research.. where I've read that you need a preservative if you want to sell it to someone. Is this true? OK.. here's the recipe I will be using..

3T coconut oil
1T castor oil
1t beeswax
2T hempseed oil
1T honey
1-2 drops of your favorite essential or fragrance oil

I would like it to be a vegan friendly lip balm.

OK.. sorry folks.. I was surfing through your forum.. reading all the posts.. and everyone already answered this question a few times. LOL I'm sorry.. thanks for the help though! I will definitely be hanging out here a lot.
peace and good vibes
Cortney
www.blessedmooncreations.com

Welcome to the forum. There are many seasoned folks here who are very helpful. :D

When I first came here, I started from the beginning reading posts. I learned soooooo much that way.

Check out the tutorial section, too.

Digit

Bee's wax & honey are animal product so the recipe above is vegetarian but not vegan.

You can sub soywax and it would be vegan.

You may have an issue mixing and getting the honey to stay with the other ingredients. It tends to stay at the bottom of the pan.

If your recipe doesnt work, please let me know and I can pm you a few to try out. Peppermint EO is a good additive for flavor. Also you dont have to worry about incorporating sweetner along with it.

helpwithsoap said:
You may have an issue mixing and getting the honey to stay with the other ingredients. It tends to stay at the bottom of the pan.

If your recipe doesnt work, please let me know and I can pm you a few to try out. Peppermint EO is a good additive for flavor. Also you dont have to worry about incorporating sweetner along with it.
Share the wealth! We'd all love to hear your ideas. :D

Lane said:
helpwithsoap said:

Share the wealth! We'd all love to hear your ideas. :D

I second that! I've tried to make honey-ed lip balms before a few times and I can never get the honey to emulsify with the oils. :cry:

A friend of mine gave me this recipe. I love it. I am giving her credit. :)

Here is a great recipe for one of my lip balm bases that I have been using successfully:

4 oz Beeswax
1 oz Shea Butter (refined or not-your choice)
4 oz Fractionated Coconut Oil
3 oz Cocoa Butter (refined or not-your choice)
2 oz Palm Oil
2 oz Coconut 76 oil
3 oz Sunflower Oil
1 oz Castor Oil
4 drops of Vitamin E

Melt all oils and beeswax in a double boiler until clear, add vitamin e.
Add flavor oil per manufacturer's suggested usage rates.
Makes about 125 lip balms if you are using the standard sized lip balm tubes.

You can always use a calculator to make a smaller batch.

This is a very good recipe, one of my favorites.

Back